Shearwater Perdix AI dive log: starting/ending tank pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetb4igetinthewater

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't found my question answered in the user manual. Is there a setting so that in the dive log one can see the starting/ending tank pressure? I know I can get it when I upload the log to my computer.

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question. When you upload the dive to your program, it should show starting and ending pressure but that is of-course software dependent.

I haven't found my question answered in the user manual. Is there a setting so that in the dive log one can see the starting/ending tank pressure? I know I can get it when I upload the log to my computer.
I think it is a miss on Shearwater's part. You do not appear to be able to see the start and end pressure in the dive log info displayed on the screen of the Perdix AI itself. It can be seen in the Shearwater Desktop and in the program I use on my iPhone (Dive Log) after you transfer/upload from the Perdix AI.

Oh! I understand the question now. I agree with Joneill. Should be easy to fix with a firmware update.

I am late to this thread and a new petrel ai user. I agree that it is a miss on Shearwater implementation. I work mostly on LoBs and I rarely use my laptop or iPad between dives. With ai, it should be easy to add start and end pressure in the dive log, under <more>. Perhaps this feature will be added with new firmware.

It would be a nice feature if they added a small menu where you pre-dive can set your starting pressure and sac rate..then end of dive you could see the calculated sac vs what you actually have and then enter actual end pressure.. well, they have this in the phone app but on the computer would be nice :) for those of us without AI

Not sure if it's really an oversight on Shearwater's part. If it is, Shearwater isn't alone in their oversight. I looked at dive computers from a few different manufacturers when I was looking to buy, and none of them allowed you to see the historical starting and ending tank pressure from the DC itself (only the real time pressure). They all required you to upload the dive history data to a computer to be able to review the dive data in its entirety. I'm guessing there are DCs that allow you to see the historical starting/ending pressure from the DC without having to upload to a computer? Otherwise, the OP probably wouldn't have asked the question.

Out of curiosity, if you could review the historical starting and ending tank pressure from the DC, how would you use that data? I ask because I'd like to know if it would be useful for me to be able to see that information as well.

Slightly off topic but, as long as we're talking about available display information, what I'd really like to see a DC be able to do is display your actual pressure group at the end of a dive and after the surface interval. I know that, in planning mode, the DC will calculate your NDL for the next dive based on your previous dive history that day. But, I think it would be still be nice to see the actual PG.

I’m wondering what you would do with that data as well. The fact the DC records it means it wasn’t ‘missed’ for me.

Kind of like an ascent alarm, it tells me to slow down but not how fast I’m going.

i'd love to be able to manually enter my start and end pressure in the shearwater log. I've got the Petrel 1 and Perdix 1.
That would be nice to have from the aspect of perhaps monitoring the estimated gas at any point remaining through out the dive. Perhaps if it had that feature sales may be lost from those that want that information in their desktop computer log. With AI being the current only way to get those calculations, it is a driving force to buy the AI Its not a tough calculation to do. I would call it depth minutes so a 30 minute dive to 100 ft could have up to 3000 foot minutes or 1000 meter minutes in it if sampled every minute. so using 2000 psi in the dive would be say 2# PER FOOT DEPTH MINUTE at 100 ft you would be using 100 of these units per minute or 200 psi per minute. 33 ft would use half that per minute.

The next question is how does knowing that help you during the dive when you have with the AI live readout?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom