Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will wait to order one until I see what the other new options are. But, unless Ratio is using the AUP transmitters as well, price alone would determine the decision in favor of a Perdix for me.

I was hoping for a ScubaPro H3 with AI, but I am 99.9% confident if they do announce it, it will work with ScubaPro transmitters and I won't be willing to spend all that extra money.

Here is another question. Say you have a single transmitter and a Perdix AI and a Hollis TX1, would both of the computers read the one transmitter at the same time?

Yes.

Just like my Atom and TX-1 do now. It's a transmitter, not a transceiver. It doesn't know or care how many receivers are receiving its signal.

@stuartv

Out of interest, do you need to pair this TX on the other computers each time, or just once.

I paired my Atom and my TX-1 one time each. Both are paired to the same transmitter.

I think "pairing" is really a misnomer. Pairing implies (to me) that both sides know about the other - which, in this case, they don't. It's not so much "pairing" as it is telling each receiver (i.e. each computer) the serial number of the transmitter to listen to.

Once it's set, the computer retains that transmitter serial number and doesn't have to be set again.

@stuartv
Max of 2 TX is a bit rubbish. 3 preferably 4 would be the minimum.

I definitely don't see why they wouldn't just let you have one transmitter per gas.

BUT, I also don't really think it's that big a deal. It's certainly not a big deal for me. Right now, I'm diving with back gas and, at most, 1 deco cylinder. Next year, I plan to do the TDI Trimix course, so then I'll be using, at most, 2 deco cylinders.

Even in the case of 2 deco cylinders, all I REALLY care about is AI for my back gas. That is the only gas I have to monitor and would possibly cause me to turn a dive before my planned time limit. The deco gases are what they are. I start with them full and breathe them for whatever time is required by the deco plan. Other than checking the button gauge at the start to make sure it shows as approximately full, I wouldn't even look at the deco gas pressure again during a dive. My procedure is to check the button gauge again when I switch to the deco gas, but I certainly don't need AI for that.

So, 2 transmitters, for people doing sidemount, makes sense as being what is NEEDED to be useful. Beyond that, at least until you get to Hypoxic Trimix and using travel gases, I would have to say that more than 2 transmitters might be nice, to record deco gas consumption rates. But, it's totally not needed. You NEED an SPG for your bottom gas. You don't really NEED one for deco gases.

Partnering with AUP (or PPS or whoever) so they can work with AUP transmitters is BRILLIANT!!

Partnering with AUP (or PPS or whoever) so they can work with AUP transmitters is BRILLIANT!!
Agreed. Second only to using standard DIN o-rings for the battery compartment.

LOL. All the techies were loudly proclaiming no-AI-no-Way and now they are complaining it won't take enough transmitters.

LOL. All the techies were loudly proclaiming no-AI-no-Way and now they are complaining it won't take enough transmitters.

Nah. The people here applauding the Perdix AI are the ones who have long been awaiting it. I'm glad they got what they wanted, and that Shearwater says they will continue to offer non-AI models for the rest of us.

Here is another question. Say you have a single transmitter and a Perdix AI and a Hollis TX1, would both of the computers read the one transmitter at the same time?

I have run 2 Oceanic computers at the same time off a single transmitter. I would imagine it would work the same with the Perdix. You would simply link both computers to the same transmitter via the transmitter serial #

Back
Top Bottom