Shearwater Predator OLED versus UEMIS SDA OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for a great discussion on these outstanding dive computers. It appears that the UEMIS is air integrated, but the Shearwater and Liquivision are not. Did I miss something on the latter two?

I appears that customer service for all of the computers is pretty good; that has become more important in light of some issues we just had with our Suunto Cobra.

Thanks,

Not sure about the Uemis, but the Shearwater and X1 are not air integrated. However, both have the capability to monitor O2 sensors on a CCR (optional extra). According to the Liquidvision owners forum, they are looking at developing air integration, but no timetable as to when that might be.

John
Happy X1 owner

The Shearwater line of computers and rebreather controllers comes from a different design direction than recreational computers.

The Shearwater Predator is from the ground up a technical diving computer. Our typical customer is open circuit using mixed gases and rebreathers. It has a prominent space on the screen for stop time and stop depth. It shows all three oxygen sensors in some models, at the same time along with other important data like OC/CC, current gas, and TTS.

Our philosophy is to design computers that are simple to understand, and offer intelligent state aware design. When the s**t hits the fan with 4 hours to go to the surface, the computer gives you the information you need when you need it.

In these multi-gas decompression scenarios, and with extreme dives, team bailout from rebreathers, air integration isn't appropriate or desirable.

For the last 6 years, Shearwater has been producing technical diving computers and rebreather controllers. If Shearwater develops a computer aimed at no-decompression divers, we will consider air-integration.

Bruce

Last edited:
Thanks to all for a great discussion on these outstanding dive computers. It appears that the UEMIS is air integrated, but the Shearwater and Liquivision are not. Did I miss something on the latter two?

I appears that customer service for all of the computers is pretty good; that has become more important in light of some issues we just had with our Suunto Cobra.

Thanks,

As Bruce already pointed out the Shearwater is not Air Integrated and that is a Good Thing.
The most tanks I have ever used on a dive is 6. 2 sidemount tanks,2 stages and 2 deco tanks. That would need 6 transmitters! MUCH easier and far more reliable just to look down at the spg.

IMHO any manufacturer that makes an air integrated technical computer does not understand their market. (Or maybe they understand it perfectly and are aiming at the Wannabees :D )

Too bad more of the current tech features have not migrated to the rec side of the house. I suppose that happens over time, but I would like to see some of the display technology and robust construction make their way to computers for rec divers. Obviously, cost is a factor, but some folks would be willing to pay for the features they value. Even Wannabees.

Too bad more of the current tech features have not migrated to the rec side of the house. I suppose that happens over time, but I would like to see some of the display technology and robust construction make their way to computers for rec divers. Obviously, cost is a factor, but some folks would be willing to pay for the features they value. Even Wannabees.

But................. The Galileo Sol is around $1500.

The Shearwater Predator SA is around $1145.

The "technical" computer is actually cheaper than the "recreational" computer !!!!!

Shearwater can handle 5 different mixes. Any combination of O2,N2 or He. Uses a known algorithm that you can play with on your iphone. It does not however have a heartrate monitor :wink:

IMHO it would be a better choice for rec diving than the Galileo.

It has been stated on this thread that because of the air gap between the screen and the OLED that you cannot read the Predator screen at an angle, the pictures below speak for themselves. I dive a Predator and underwater it is just as easy to read at an angle.

Attachments

• Shearwater and X1 Screens.jpg
    Shearwater and X1 Screens.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 194
  • Shearwater and X1 Full Screen.jpg
    Shearwater and X1 Full Screen.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 194
If someone doesn't want to use the Uemis as air integrated, he can always feel free to use it as a "normal" computer...There is always that option. The unit can be bought from the dealer for a lower price without the transmitter.

Michael

It has been stated on this thread that because of the air gap between the screen and the OLED that you cannot read the Predator screen at an angle, the pictures below speak for themselves. I dive a Predator and underwater it is just as easy to read at an angle.

Total internal reflection only occurs underwater. Therefore the pictures you posted are not relevant, since they are taken in air. The photos below were taken underwater. The Uemis has the same viewing angle as the X1.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Attachments

• OuBye.jpg
    OuBye.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 191
  • V1Ru7.jpg
    V1Ru7.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 203
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom