Shearwater Predator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For someone just starting out diving but with big aspirations this is what I would suggest:

Buy something like a Diverite Duo (2 gas nitrox computer with gauge mode). That will work well for recreational diving,most florida cave diving and one gas deco dives (with some attention paid to adding deeper stops as needed)

When/if you start using trimix and/or multiple deco gases get the Predator then. Use the Duo in gauge mode with backup tables in case the Predator fails.

Haha - you just said pretty much exactly what 616fun said

I typically only buy an Item once. I realize that there is specialty equipment in diving and that I may have to buy equipment for different environments and backup. My chief concern about this computer is not cost. When I bought my first reg it was a Legend Glacia. Def not the cheapest reg out there but I know that it will follow me anywhere. Hot or cold. I don't mind the weight of it at all. My dive instructor said i aught to buy a cheaper reg to start but I though "its the thing between me and the air" and "I want to do cold water diving". I haven't done any cold water diving yet but the reg is worth every penny and I've been very happy. My main concern was finding out if the shearwater would serve me well in OW because I plan to take quite a few dives with that and the dive shop owner was saying that I wouldn't enjoy the dives as much because the computer was overly complicated. Found that hard to believe so I asked here. Also plan on 60 or so dives this year. I do not plan on stopping at recreational diving.(Just to clarify)

*MOD POST*
:police:
I have moderated this thread to remove a number of personal attacks, profane language and certain response to that.

Please note Scubaboard Terms of Service:

Profane, racial, insulting or mean spirited language is simply not allowed here and this includes any sort of harassment or cyber bullying. Threats of any sort are grounds for immediate permanent suspension; there is never a reason to resort to personal attacks. If you feel that you have been attacked, please do not retaliate; instead use the Report Bad Post button
report_new.gif
at the bottom of each post to notify us.
*MOD POST*

My main concern was finding out if the shearwater would serve me well in OW because I plan to take quite a few dives with that and the dive shop owner was saying that I wouldn't enjoy the dives as much because the computer was overly complicated. Found that hard to believe so I asked here

Your main concern has been addressed, and you got some free unsolicited advice to boot. That's win-win. Welcome to Scubaboard

I know it was and I thank all who responded. I read some posts assuming things about what I was thinking so I expanded on my original post.

Much Thanks All

When I do tec dives... I usually cut a table (as a backup), but dive my computer (Predator)
When I do staged deco dives, I cut a table, use my $300 computer as a depth gauge and carry a $20 Casio G-Shock as a back up combined with an analog depth gauge I took out of an old console.

I am seriously considering getting a Predator. The first reason, the analog depth gauge goes only to 150'. 2. Diving tables in staged deco dives is akin using only tables for recreational diving -- you either strictly follow a square profile and/or round up everything on the conservative side of things and you could be grossly under-utilizing your available time and gases. Diving a computer does give you more flexibility.

It could be argued that you can start looking for patterns that correlate bottom time to deco time and make a set of rules of thumb that will help you more or less figure adequate deco, but that also has limitations. So, for me, I like the choice of getting a Predator and start diving a computer for a change.

For deco diving, I do see the value of learning to dive cut tables and being proficient at it. You get to build good situational awareness. You have to be very aware of (run)time and depth at all times. You have to have good buoyancy and learn how to be in control even when conditions are not favorable. Some people will argue that you can misuse the flexibility of a computer as a crutch to get away with being less than proficient at these crucial skills. But I cannot accept becoming a Luddite and resisting advancement because I fear I might lose my skills. Should I go and throw out my GPS because I will get stupid at reading maps? I like having those skills and I will make a point to practice them every now and then. During my last dive, my dive buddy was wearing a Predator and yet we followed my cut tables because he wants to keep his skills.

Soooo... after my long winded rambling, to the, OP: I have only heard good things of the Predator. I do not think you can go wrong. HOWEVER, don't use it to become dependent on it. Keep in mind that if you do want to go further than Rec in your diving you might need a backup and you might want to buy that backup first, simply because it is cheaper.

What I would advise you against is buying something that does not give you room to grow. Don't do it even if it's being pushed by a "concerned" dive shop employee. There are entry level simple computers that may lock you out if you take it into deco or may not be able to handle any nitrox or do not have the capability to be used in gauge mode. Stay away from those. All that's going to happen is that you'll have to buy another more capable computer pretty soon.

Last edited:
Hence the need to change it.

Edit: Where you sarcastic? Apparently today I am Sarcasm-Detection-Challenged.:idk:

Last edited:
I typically only buy an Item once. I realize that there is specialty equipment in diving and that I may have to buy equipment for different environments and backup. My chief concern about this computer is not cost. When I bought my first reg it was a Legend Glacia. Def not the cheapest reg out there but I know that it will follow me anywhere. Hot or cold. I don't mind the weight of it at all. My dive instructor said i aught to buy a cheaper reg to start but I though "its the thing between me and the air" and "I want to do cold water diving". I haven't done any cold water diving yet but the reg is worth every penny and I've been very happy. My main concern was finding out if the shearwater would serve me well in OW because I plan to take quite a few dives with that and the dive shop owner was saying that I wouldn't enjoy the dives as much because the computer was overly complicated. Found that hard to believe so I asked here. Also plan on 60 or so dives this year. I do not plan on stopping at recreational diving.(Just to clarify)

Just buy it. Yes $1000 is a lot of money. Yes you can buy a cheaper computer that will do all that you need at a minimum. Divers will spend $2000 on a SUUNTO D9 and not bat an eye. I think that it(D9) is a bit of a fashion statement.

What some posters may be missing is that the original poster of this thread has stated that cost is not a factor in the decision. Perhaps the Shearwater has technical features that you may not use for a year or two. I doubt that the scuba industry will overcome the laws of deco physics by then.

LOVE IT! Had Vr3's for years (two different models) and still believe they are a perfectly good option as a tech computer. However my old eyes were just having too much trouble seeing the numbers lately and a change was in order. Choice came down to the Shearwater or the Liquivision. I just liked the display, the user changeable battery and the price of the Predator better. A good friend got the X1 and while it is a good computer I can't help but point out that it experienced a problem on a recent cave diving trip to florida. I do mostly rebreather wreck dives in the Great Lakes with depths from 150 to 210 and run times between 1 and 2 hours. Bottom temps are typically in the 40's. The Predator has been flawless. Battery life seems to be very good. Operating is very easy (although truthfully I never thought the Vr3 to be nearly as difficult as some people made it sound.) Visibility is outstanding! After the first dive on the Predator which I belive was to 160 for about 30 min bottom time, I experienced a minor niggle (itch) and boosted the GF conservatism which resulted in a slightly longer deco but no more niggles. Some of my buddies still dive Vr3's and differences in the approach to deco in the two units is very apparent. My deep stop is always shallower, the Predator gets me shallower quicker -which is nice when there's a decent thermocline and I'm hanging in 50+ degree water while they're in 40+ degree water. We usually are back together at 20ft although I get there first. Generally I get out a bit quicker than they do -likely the result of less time spent on the deeper stops. The planning software now that its available has really filled the one big hole the computer had. There is one change I would make but I understand why they haven't. I wish ALL the gases were in a file at all times and you just had to turn them on and off for each dive (like the Vr3) rather than having to put them in and take them out for each dive. Just my .O2 worth. YMMV

I totally agree that the Predator is awesome. I had to have one of the switches replaced because it became stubborn. I had it back within a few days. The service was awesome as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom