Short 4"/6" HP hose for AI transmitter or directly to 1st Stage?

Short hose connecting the AI Transmitter, or just screw it right to the 1st stage?

• Yup, a 4" or 6" hose has its purpose...

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • No hose needed...

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • I don't use AI, and I'm not sure why I clicked on this topic...

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We almost always use a six inch hose when we set up regsets. It is usually attached to the primary second stage with some wire ties or Velcro wraps. Don't let it flop around. It is unavoidable that sooner or later someone will inadvertently or in ignorance grab a directly mounted transmitter and damage it. A new transmitter and some blown dives costs a lot more that $30-40. I just saved one from the brink of death yesterday. Another trip or two directly mounted and it would have been gone.

Xsscuba also has a qd.

Most transmitters need a spool to attach to the hp hose. They don't need one for a direct mount. Someone who bought a transmitter but no spool off of the internet tried to seal the hp leak with a wad of teflon tape without a spool. it did not work.

Last edited:
Like Diving Dubai I used a six inch hose with Suunto QD. I screwed the hose into the right hand HP port, then bent it around to the left side, and tucked the transmitter by the BCD wing. When pressurized the HP hose is rigid enough to keep everything in place. Works great, then when done I can disconnect the transmitter and tuck it away with the computer.

I use a 4" hose with no QD. I went with this when I got a Poseidon reg and the ports are a little recessed so that I cannot put the transmitter directly on it. The short hose gets the transmitter a little more out over my shoulder and so always in line of sight with the computer. Maybe this why I never have signal drops. It does give some comfort as to no one lifting the tank with it by mistake. It does not snag on anything.

That being said, my wife has hers directly on the first stage (scubapro MK25) and no problems

Another option that I'm surprised I haven't seen mentioned...

90 Degree HP swivel to connect AI DC Transmitter/HP hose to first stage

I first saw a friend that had theirs connected with the "cheap" version mentioned in that post. It keeps it really close to the first stage, gives a little freedom of movement and yet it's at 90 degrees to the first stage and discourages people from using it as a handle.

I've got my transmitter on a 4 inch hose. It also has a little sleeve/cover of neoprene I made wrapped around it to protect it from bangs in the boat. It might be overkill but attached straight to the first stage it looks so brittle.
The 90 degree swivel looks intersting though.

I am with Scared Silly and Diving Dubai. In SE Asia, its easy for the crew to grab the transmitter while pulling a tank up on to the dingy. Even with a well-trained crew, lifting a cylinder out of the water with a moderate swell and wind, its easy to make a mistake and grab the transmitter while holding onto the cylinder valve handle. The transmitters does not stick out too much and mostly mitigates transmitter breakage while moving cylinders.

Back
Top Bottom