Short Plus Sized Woman Needs BC Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reminds me of my OW class in which there was a rolly-polly woman, about five foot tall and 200+ pounds, and a male midget (dwarf, little person or whatever) taking the lessons. The female had had a custom wetsuit and the little guy wore swimming trunks in the pool. They both were using AL67's if I remember correctly.When we hit the pool the female constantly rotated and couldn't stop herself and the little guy kept going around in circles. It was hillarious. You can actually laugh your --- off under water. The kicker is that they both ended up getting certified after they figured out what was up.

Uh, tactful words there Garrobo. My dive buddy is built much like the woman you describe, and has perfect trim in the water. She also does SAR, is a paramedic, and routinely carries her end of a stretcher with 200-300 pound guys on it. What is funny is that I have borrowed her equipment before. We both wear size 12 Hyperstretches. Just stretches different directions for us. I'm 5'10". I offer this for the OP so that she will understand that you really do just have to try.

Some of the female model Zeagles might suit you, and you can tailor the bits to fit. I was too tall for the female Zeagles and am in the Stiletto and loving it.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for their input. Divers are the best people!

I think I am going to check out a Zeagle Zena.

With regard to the short, roly poly woman and the little person, perhaps they learned what I have learned, which is that some goals, like scuba diving, are worth fighting to attain regardless of what the rest of the world thinks and even though you have to work twice as hard to be half as good. :wink:

With regard to the short, roly poly woman and the little person, perhaps they learned what I have learned, which is that some goals, like scuba diving, are worth fighting to attain regardless of what the rest of the world thinks and even though you have to work twice as hard to be half as good. :wink:

Yeah, my wife has told people that she decided a few years ago that she wasn't going to let being a "fat old lady" (her words, not mine) stop her from living her life.

I would try a bunch out before you buy one. My wife was a few years ago sized similar. She has since lost alot of weight (diving helped alot with that). Anyways you might want to consider the Zeagle Ranger. Given that you can extend or shrink the cumberbund, and the straps it might give you better flexability in the sizing.

The zena is a zipper closure if I remember right, and it was not great when fitting my wife given that it is kind of cut for a specific size.

Also the strap based systems will likey give you better flexability as you loose weight, wear different wet suits etc...

Hope this helps

Dont do it!! Please!!

Try a backplate & wing. Most have a padding option and you can get cinch systems to make them easier to get in and out of. There simply isnt anything that will give you better trim & buoyancy. You can also get smaller backplates that are perfect for us shorter folks :wink:

5 mins in a pool with anyone of any size in a BP&wing and I can get them chucking their old BC in the trash.

If you're not happy with the Zenas and look at BP/W (yay, by the way :D ), I'd like to point out that DiveRite, OxyCheq, and Deep Sea Supply all have short backplates. Much more comfortable on my 5'4" frame.

Back
Top Bottom