Should a C-Card be Required to Buy Gear?

Should a c-card be required to be dive gear?

• Yes, definitely, it's the only way for people to make informed choices.

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Yes, though buying at their LDS once they've signed up for a course should be ok.

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • No, people make mistakes and they'll learn from buying gear twice.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • No, don't even go there.

Votes: 118 72.8%
  • People buy gear? I always rent mine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had a thought while reading a post by seaducer in another thread ("Gear you need for a class, well that varys with the shop, but most require mask, fins, snorkel and weight belt/weights. Gear you need to dive? The above plus a C card, the rest you will learn in class."). I've also seen LOTS of people suggesting on here that people rent before buying, so here's my thought: Should people be required in have a C-Card in order to buy gear other than mask, fins and snorkel?

Yes -- tanks, regulators and BCD's, definitely.

I had a thought while reading a post by seaducer in another thread ("Gear you need for a class, well that varys with the shop, but most require mask, fins, snorkel and weight belt/weights. Gear you need to dive? The above plus a C card, the rest you will learn in class."). I've also seen LOTS of people suggesting on here that people rent before buying, so here's my thought: Should people be required in have a C-Card in order to buy gear other than mask, fins and snorkel?

Should my mom or my significant other be prohibited from buying me a SCUBA present like a computer because she doesn't have a C-card? Hmmmm...

I think your heart is in the right place, but it is just not practical, and anything that could potentially hurt sales in this business is definitely not going to happen.

Should a car be sold to someone with suspended license?
Should a gun be sold to someone without hunter safety class?
Should yeast be sold to someone under the age of 21?

There are more important things to regulate - guns, alcohol, cars.... I think it is silly to regulate scuba equipment. It is nothing more than expensive toys.

I don't think he's talking about for other people -- I think he means for yourself.

I don't think he's talking about for other people -- I think he means for yourselves.

I know what he's thinking but it doesn't matter. If it is regulated like that then it couldn't be obtained for yourself OR a gift.

o Yes, definitely, it's the only way for people to make informed choices.
o Yes, though buying at their LDS once they've signed up for a course should be ok.
o No, people make mistakes and they'll learn from buying gear twice.

Should people be required in have a C-Card in order to buy gear other than mask, fins and snorkel?

What do the three choices have to do with having a c-card... or anything else?

ps- if a reader has "no opinion", the generally won't respond to the poll.

That's exactly what I meant, I didn't consider buying for other people as gifts, and was thinking items such as tanks, BCs and regs, the main equipment that will get a new diver into the water.

I don't think he's talking about for other people -- I think he means for yourselves.

The caption reads, "Should a c-card be required to buy gear?" It doesn't specify for whom or for what purpose, just that the person making the purchase be certified. I could be buying it for myself or for anyone else. If it restricts sales, it is just not going to happen.

How would you go about policing it anyway? Are all the online retailers going to have you submit your certification number on their website and have you wait 5 days while they check out your credentials before they send you your gear? I don't think so...

Back
Top Bottom