Should a C-Card be Required to Buy Gear?

Should a c-card be required to be dive gear?

• Yes, definitely, it's the only way for people to make informed choices.

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Yes, though buying at their LDS once they've signed up for a course should be ok.

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • No, people make mistakes and they'll learn from buying gear twice.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • No, don't even go there.

Votes: 118 72.8%
  • People buy gear? I always rent mine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'd hate to be the one that had to buddy up with a diver with little or no training. Not all dive shops ask to see a C-card to allow you out on a boat.

Let me know if I'm wrong but after reading a variety of magazines, various boards etc...I don't think that there are lots of people out there buying gear and diving without being certified. If you're going to spend that kind of money on gear...the class is a drop in the bucket. And for those who are...it's like anything else. If they really want it they will get it from somewhere.

BTW you can also ask a C-card for getting airfills.
Should you???
No way,there's a lot of people shooting airguns and paintball guns.
They need the same air.Must they get a scuba card,to shoot?

no.. except for spare-airs *
Seriously, My biggest concern wasn't buying.. but selling. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to have someone show a cert card to buy some used "scuba gear" on eBay or even SB, even new stuff on LeisurePro or ScubaToys. Can't even imagine LDS' would want to do that either. If it's unenforceable it isn't worth doing.

* just kidding

Well, I'd hate to be the one that had to buddy up with a diver with little or no training. Not all dive shops ask to see a C-card to allow you out on a boat.

And that is what I call stupid.I can see the lawyers comming already.:D

Suggesting a C-Card should be needed to buy gear is the first step on the road to government regulation. Next step is governmental approval of agencies (otherwise anyone can issue a C-Card), and it only gets worse from there...

I worry way more about the instabuddy who THINKS he knows it all and doesn't or the person that has been there so many times that they become complacent.

no.. except for spare-airs

And again NO WAY,I have a regular customer comming in with a Spare Air.
She's comming in for her husband who has a serious lung problem.
She come's in once or twice a month to get a refill.
And i dont even charge her for it.:D
And again she has no C-card.

I had a thought while reading a post by seaducer in another thread ("Gear you need for a class, well that varys with the shop, but most require mask, fins, snorkel and weight belt/weights. Gear you need to dive? The above plus a C card, the rest you will learn in class."). I've also seen LOTS of people suggesting on here that people rent before buying, so here's my thought: Should people be required in have a C-Card in order to buy gear other than mask, fins and snorkel?

SURELY YOU JEST, OR STATED ANOTHER WAY "Are you out of your @*+# mind"?

I know what he's thinking but it doesn't matter. If it is regulated like that then it couldn't be obtained for yourself OR a gift.

I see the gift card market getting involved in this somehow. It says so much to give a friend or loved one a piece of plastic with a redeemable amount for purchased items only. It says I was thinking of you and put so much thought into this gift. Happy freakin birthday. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom