Should a C-Card be Required to Buy Gear?

Should a c-card be required to be dive gear?

• Yes, definitely, it's the only way for people to make informed choices.

Votes: 16 9.9%
  • Yes, though buying at their LDS once they've signed up for a course should be ok.

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • No, people make mistakes and they'll learn from buying gear twice.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • No, don't even go there.

Votes: 118 72.8%
  • People buy gear? I always rent mine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No opinion.

Votes: 4 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not going to read the entire thread... wouldn't be prudent. However, requiring a c-card would make it more difficult for my non-diving friends to buy me gear for my birthday. Hmmm... come to think of it, I don't think I have any non-diving friends.

Checking c-cards would be inconsistent and completely unenforceable unless it were a legal requirement, and there's no way I would want that. People forget that checking c-cards used to be an industry standard 15 years ago and it fell apart because the emerging online retailers wouldn't play along.

Should my mom or my significant other be prohibited from buying me a SCUBA present like a computer because she doesn't have a C-card? Hmmmm...

I think your heart is in the right place, but it is just not practical, and anything that could potentially hurt sales in this business is definitely not going to happen.

All they have to do is borrow your c-card and be able to prove to the LDS that you two are related... problem solved:coffee:

We don't all live at home with Mom.

YES! We need more government regulation to protect us from ourselves. Perhaps PADI, NAUI, SSI should be nationalized so people that can't cut it working for the TSA can teach SCUBA diving. This could turn out to be a really good jobs program. All dive shops could be required to have a TSA/SCUBA instructor to check c-cards on all purchases. Add some TSA/SCUBA inspectors on all dive boats and along the shoreline to check your papers before you enter the water and we will all be much safer.:wink:

Government regulation is not the solution. Besides, I've seen certified divers that shouldn't be allowed to purchase gear or air. There will always be a small percentage of people that will kill themselves regardless of society's best efforts.

Maybe in your case but a gift giver can take many forms.

YES! We need more government regulation to protect us from ourselves. Perhaps PADI, NAUI, SSI should be nationalized so people that can't cut it working for the TSA can teach SCUBA diving. This could turn out to be a really good jobs program. All dive shops could be required to have a TSA/SCUBA instructor to check c-cards on all purchases. Add some TSA/SCUBA inspectors on all dive boats and along the shoreline to check your papers before you enter the water and we will all be much safer.:wink:

Government regulation is not the solution. Besides, I've seen certified divers that shouldn't be allowed to purchase gear or air. There will always be a small percentage of people that will kill themselves regardless of society's best efforts.

Fact of the matter is you're right. Government or industry regulation is not the answer as it simply doesn't work. We still ask for c-cards for any life support equipment or air purchases, but it does create a problem when it's a spouse, friend, etc. purchasing for a certified diver. I also see people who are not certified wanting to purchase regs, tanks, etc. to clean the bottom of their boat, thinking that simply going down 10 feet underwater couldn't hurt them.

The best way I can think of is to educate those who would unknowingly put themselves in harm's way of the dangers associated with diving. We'll continue to restrict sales to those who are certified and present a c-card for the purchase of life support items, but not as an "across the board" requirement for any type of purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom