Should I bring my cold-water gear to Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to separate the backplate and wing (physically) else you risk damaging the wing bladder.

Huh, that had never occurred to me. Seems like it would be a bit of a hassle but better than arriving with a punctured wing I suppose. Backplate in carryon also solves a lot of weight issues. (My only trip so far was before I bought a BP/W.)

Curious, has anyone actually ever experienced a punctured wing? Modern ones appear to be made out of fairly durable nylon or kevlar. I find it hard to believe that they could be damaged so easily just by being in luggage.

Huh, that had never occurred to me. Seems like it would be a bit of a hassle but better than arriving with a punctured wing I suppose. Backplate in carryon also solves a lot of weight issues. (My only trip so far was before I bought a BP/W.)

Curious, has anyone actually ever experienced a punctured wing? Modern ones appear to be made out of fairly durable nylon or kevlar. I find it hard to believe that they could be damaged so easily just by being in luggage.
Yes the can be punctured. The most prominent/common way is from being caught between the hard edge of the plate and the seat of a boat - especially if you sit down fairly hard on a rocking boat. So its not likely but quite possible to get a pinch cut between your plate and wing if the plate gets banged around inside your bag

Back
Top Bottom