Should I get new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil_chure

Registered
Reaction score
I currently have a Suunto Favor S that is a couple of years old, and also a Citizen dive watch. I've been going on one dive trip maybe two a year and will be going to Truk Lagoon this fall. I'm going to be getting Nitrox cert. for this trip and am thinking that I should get a new dive computer that is Nitrox capable. I like the wirst mounted computer and thinking about the Suunto Mosquito.

Does it make sense that I should get a new computer for Nitrox? and if so I'm not against a non-watch computer any other suggestions?

Yeah, a nitrox computer is great for nitrox diving. This way you can have the multilevel benefits just like on air. I also had/have a Favor, and got a Tusa IQ-800 for nitrox. The IQ-800 is very slim but has huge (I mean HUGE) numbers on it which I love.

lil_chure:
I currently have a Suunto Favor S that is a couple of years old, and also a Citizen dive watch. I've been going on one dive trip maybe two a year and will be going to Truk Lagoon this fall. I'm going to be getting Nitrox cert. for this trip and am thinking that I should get a new dive computer that is Nitrox capable. I like the wirst mounted computer and thinking about the Suunto Mosquito.

Does it make sense that I should get a new computer for Nitrox? and if so I'm not against a non-watch computer any other suggestions?

I think it deoends. Do you plan on increasing your dive frequency?

Because if you're going to continue at 1 -2 dives a year, i'd say skip it. You may be able to rent a nitrox compatible comp, one of your dive buddies may have one, or you can use the nitrox tables.

If you're going to start diving regularly, then it might be time to upgrade to a nitrox. I have a resource nitrox plus (an ebay job) Its programmable to EAN50 and has a user replaceable battery . It tracks both O2 loading and Nitrogren load (both per dive and total) and it has deco capability to profile requiring a ceiling deeper than 60 ft.

But if you can afford it, i think the suunto vyper is nitrox and a good computer

After diving for three years using a bottom timer I have just now purchased a dive computer. It is a Cochran EMC-16 2 FO2. I went to Cozumel a couple of years ago and I used the bottom timer and I found that since I was only doing two, maybe three dives a day it was easy to just use the tables. Now that im leaving for Bonaire in a bit, I thought it would be safer to go bite the bullet and get a computer. Since I will be doing 4-5 maybe even 6? dives a day.

If your going to Truk I would say rent a computer unless you are planning on doing more diving, but it is nice to use your own computer and equipment because you know how well it has been cared for ect...

If your looking at getting a computer RGMB seems to be getting a lot popular, but tis also one of the most conservative of the algorithums. Suuntos and Mares use RGBM. Buhlman is used in Scubapro and it offers a little more time.

I went with a Cochran, the most liberal computer you can get, but I just used the dive planner and conservatism settings to get the computer even with the tables I want to use. For instance a 20% conservatism gives me a tiny bit NDL than the padi NDL tables. A 25% conservatism gets me pretty close to the Suunto RGMB.

If you get a new computer keep in mind how big the display is, can you use it if you plan on doing deeper diving, user replaceable batteries, buttons or wet contacts, what algorithum does it use?? These are all questions I asked myself before i bought a computer. Hope this helps.
Have fun in Truk!

Thanks for the replys. The more I think about it getting a larger computer with adequate backlight would be better, because getting a "watch" computer (either Mosquito or Stinger) would duplicte the Aqualand "Watch" I already have and I like it for the basic time, depth other info. its capable of and it's not bad to have a backup.

I've changed my focus to the Suunto Vyper because i like the wrist mount and from comments/reviews of it and all Suunto computers seem to be positive, it seems to be in a reasonable price range. I don't do much, if any, diving in cold water that I wear gloves, so is the difficult operation of the buttons on the Vyper an issue or are those comments more along the lines of "great computer, but if I needed to come up with one thing to change" comments.

While I understand that everyone has there own personal preferences and I should determine those on my own but I'm just gathering on the info before doing the giant stide entrance.

While it may not be completely "necessary" to have a new computer, I feel much more comfortable having my own equipment then renting and I forsee diving for many years down the road and if taken care of, it will last. (Just practicing for selling it to the wife)

Love my Viper. Easy to use, even with gloves. Unless you're in the "gotta have more toys" mode, I'd suggest renting for a week just to make sure it's the right comp for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom