Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys should have shared air with your buddies snorkel..
I believe it was called a 'blow back', back in the day...

I throw mine in the bag on every trip but I haven't actually worn one since my last PADI class, whatever that was. If nothing else, they can get tangled when deploying the primary to an OOG diver.
I thought that it was standard to have the snorkel on the left side and the regulator and octo on the right side. I am a newbie. I might be wrong.

I thought that it was standard to have the snorkel on the left side and the regulator and octo on the right side. I am a newbie. I might be wrong.
The problem with snorkels and long hoses isn't the mouthpiece. It's that tube sticking up above your head, too easily interfering with the long hose as you duck your head to let the loop slip over. When you donating gas wearing a long hose, you donate the reg you've got in your mouth, while you switch to the backup necklaced under your chin.

And yes, you're right about reg to the right, snorkel to the left.

To prevent entanglement the primary and snorkel should be on different sides, but which side is dictated by how the hose connects to the reg. The octopus can be left or right - my preference is from the left.

So funny, I now read this before I post on this site. SB_bingo.jpeg
Thanks to doctormike .:checkbox:

To add to @Storker's post, it is specifically the "noose" long hose setup where you wrap the hose around your neck. Not the "streamline OW" setup with the primary on an elbow or a swivel and the "long hose" not really longer than the regular octo hose.

...e divers reaching for their snorkel, while searching for their inflator.

My personal opinion: a snorkel should not be used underwater. But i have one in my pocket, if diving in the ocean. Usually a folded one.
I only use a real snorkel if i need to surface swim a lot before diving, or i am scouting the area before submerging.

Dont need to be a DM to know that a snorkel shouldn't be used underwater. The debate is whether it should be carried for use at the surface. :) sorry couldnt help myself

and the "long hose" not really longer than the regular octo hose.
Is it then a "long" hose?

To me, a "long" hose is at least 150cm/5'/60" and should, because it's - wait for it... - rather long, be wrapped behind your neck in the standard DIR/ Hogarthian (or whatever you want to call it) configuration. Preferably combined with a necklaced backup. I wouldn't consider a 40"/100cm hose "long".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom