Should I wear a snorkel or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought that it was standard to have the snorkel on the left side and the regulator and octo on the right side. I am a newbie. I might be wrong.

you can see the long hose configuration and the primary hose donation in this video:

at 1:02 the diver deploy the long hose, you will immediately see that a snorkel would not be nice to have

To me, a "long" hose is at least 150cm/5'/60" ... I wouldn't consider a 40"/100cm hose "long".

:D So where between 1.5 m and 1 m does "long" become "not long"?

This a new divers forum and I think the "noose" setup is not necessarily obvious.

you can see the long hose configuration and the primary hose donation in this video:

at 1:02 the diver deploy the long hose, you will immediately see that a snorkel would not be nice to have

I have done it a million times with a snorkel without any issues. It is a matter of practice just like learning to snorkel or to ride a bike, easier actually.

On my inverted pony the 1m hose is "not" "long" "enough" but the 1200 hose is "perfect" but the only "noose" setup I want
is a womans arms

I have done it a million times with a snorkel without any issues. It is a matter of practice just like learning to snorkel or to ride a bike, easier actually.

I have not said it is not possible to do it, I have just said "it is not nice to have". With proper training, you can do everything; I am not going to spend time to learn how to donate the long hose with a snorkel, and I am very happy like this :) But if you can do it, good for you

After reaching a certain age, maybe forty, it is time for the father to take off the training wheels and let go of the seat

If a diver has a long hose then why isn't it long enough to clear a snorkel if wearing one? At this skill level should be no impediment deploying a long hose if wearing a snorkel. Of course you could just avoid deploying the long hose in the first place :)

This thread is started by a new diver who in any case is most likely not using a long hose setup. I have always worn my snorkel and never had an issue with it getting in the way.

So where between 1.5 m and 1 m does "long" become "not long"
For me, at about 1.5m. Shorter than that, and it becomes difficult to hog loop.

If a diver has a long hose then why isn't it long enough to clear a snorkel if wearing one?

The answer is in the video :)

At this skill level should be no impediment deploying a long hose if wearing a snorkel. Of course you could just avoid deploying the long hose in the first place :)

This thread is started by a new diver who in any case is most likely not using a long hose setup.

I am not suggesting to wear a snorkel, and I am not suggesting not to wear it. I just posted a video because a person doesn't know what a long hose is, and the video highlights one possible disadvantage of the snorkel in this configuration, period. It was not for the OP, it was not to make my point, it was just to help a new diver understanding a configuration he does not know.

P.S. The primary long hose donation is even taught in some OW courses, so there is no "this level of skill".

I have not said it is not possible to do it, I have just said "it is not nice to have". With proper training, you can do everything; I am not going to spend time to learn how to donate the long hose with a snorkel, and I am very happy like this :) But if you can do it, good for you

You have clearly made a lot of effort to convince others that it isn't safe or possible to do it safely or properly if one is using a snorkel. What you should have said that YOU don't have enough skill, knowledge and practice to be able to do a very simply maneuver easily and correctly, just you. You are no different than the people with standard hose and don't know where their snorkel is and where their BC inflator hose is and confuse which one is which because of their low level of competency and lack of adequate practice just like somebody who doesn't know his nose from his ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom