Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate that the "muscle memory" crowd loses a pride point because what they learned and practiced and worked so hard to make easy over the years is just not needed anymore. They can call themselves "more involved" divers or "more concentrated" divers or "more active" divers or just "more something" divers because they can lift an spg, In the real world, of course, this is not only not true but actually funny, but, hey, "we know how and you don't" is a good mantra for standing out.
If unclipping and clipping an SPG is this much trouble, how about deploying an SMB, using a reel, or taking pictures?

AJ:
If unclipping and clipping an SPG is this much trouble, how about deploying an SMB, using a reel, or taking pictures?

Or, how about holding an anchor line in a ripping current, deploying an SMB to alert the boat to an emergency, and sharing air with a buddy (or holding onto an unresponsive buddy)? If you want to check your tank pressure, would you rather unclip an SPG, hold it up (with your 3rd hand), then clip it off again? Or glance at your wrist?

Isn't it funny how safety and task loading are the reason behind so many things in diving? But, when a new technology comes along that could change the way a thing is done, then safety and task loading are not a consideration at all? Because "if you can't do this simple thing (after a couple of hundred dives to build muscle memory), you shouldn't be tech diving."

AJ:
If there were easier and more effective ways to do all of those things, I would be looking at those, too. The AI is just the thing I can do right now (and what we are discussing).

This illustrates the difference between recreational and technical thinking.

So... you don't need to sync the AI? You don't need to program the gas?

For tech; you wouldn't need to repeat that process for every gas/cylinder used? You wouldn't need to apply safeguard procedures, as an error in that setup would seriously compromise diver safety?

You don't need to formulate/adopt a protocol in the event of AI electronic or battery failure? Of sync failure...

I'll go over my protocols. My main emphasis on AI is the ease of use during the dive. And, these are WAY longer to describe than they are to do.

You don't need to "sync" or "pair" the transmitter every dive, that is done once when you first set up the computer, or after a transmitter battery change.

Of course you need to check that the computer is reading the transmitter before you splash. This is done when you take a few breaths from your reg during your pre-dive gear check, when the computer will display the pressure. Most computers shut off the transmitter when no change in pressure is detected after a few minutes, to conserve battery). Taking a few breaths changes the pressure and "wakes up" the transmitter which then sends the data to the computer.

You set the primary (and deco) mixes on your computer just like you set any gas. That is a deco function and has nothing to do with AI.

If the computer does not read the pressure, my protocol is to do the dive with my spg (have not had to do this, yet).

During the dive, there can be momentary transmitter loss (only had it happen once). The protocol for that is to wait and check again in a minute or so. That was all needed during the one signal drop I had. If the signal is not regained by itself, the next protocol is to move the computer closer to or more in line of sight of the transmitter. Lest this sound like a big deal, I have not had to move the computer in 200 dives.

If after a couple checks over a couple minutes there is still no signal, I would complete the dive on my spg. If I did not have an spg, I would treat the dive the same as an spg failure and begin my ascent.

To, that's AI in a nutshell.

How useful this is to tech divers beyond their primary gas, or at all, I do not presume to judge, but I do follow those discussions with interest.

Guy, nice explanation from the recreational side of the war.

I've followed this thread with detached interest for its duration. I've been both thanked and served up the most amazingly obscene graphic ever posted on this public site. Had I done that, I'd have been perma-banned. Nope, slaps on the wrist all around. Double standard, won't forget it either.

I have come to realize that AI is the final redoubt between recreational and technical diving. I'll likely never use AI. However, I don't see the threat, harm, or disrespect of using AI if you want it.

This is all recreational diving, yes, even tech diving is "for fun". Get over yourselves. The argument of saving a company from ruin by keeping it from going where it doesn't belong is laughable. Buy what works for you and use it.

The manufacturers will adapt. Fact is, they are rather clever at this and don't really require our business sense to survive.

I've followed this thread with detached interest for its duration. I've been both thanked and served up the most amazingly obscene graphic ever posted on this public site. Had I done that, I'd have been perma-banned. Nope, slaps on the wrist all around. Double standard, won't forget it either.
Yikes! I guess the mods must have deleted it, because currently the only graphic in this thread is a screenshot from a rebreather manual that I posted.

Apologies, I misspoke.

The graphic was posted in the parent thread that spawned the two others, this being one. I have downloaded the graphic, I won't lower myself to sharing.

Yikes! I guess the mods must have deleted it, because currently the only graphic in this thread is a screenshot from a rebreather manual that I posted.

Which by some, could be perceived as obscene! ;-)

Or, how about holding an anchor line in a ripping current, deploying an SMB to alert the boat to an emergency, and sharing air with a buddy (or holding onto an unresponsive buddy)? If you want to check your tank pressure, would you rather unclip an SPG, hold it up (with your 3rd hand), then clip it off again? Or glance at your wrist?
I would be too busy doing really important things to look at something trivial like air left :wink: I would check before performing those activities and after if needed, but not during. Besides that, I check my SPG to see if something is wrong (leakage), not how much air is left. I can guestimate that at all times by dive time and average depth (both on my DC) combined with experience. Just don't need AI, SPG is for safety as a kind of backup for my dive plan. I could even do without SPG if I really wanted to. That maybe the key difference in our thinking?

Back
Top Bottom