Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or, how about holding an anchor line in a ripping current, deploying an SMB to alert the boat to an emergency, and sharing air with a buddy (or holding onto an unresponsive buddy)? If you want to check your tank pressure, would you rather unclip an SPG, hold it up (with your 3rd hand), then clip it off again? Or glance at your wrist?
Very simple! I would just wrap my legs around the shot line.
BTW, how would you shot the smb with one hand? It is not rocket science.

I don't need AI or any tec computer for diving.

Or, how about holding an anchor line in a ripping current, deploying an SMB to alert the boat to an emergency, and sharing air with a buddy (or holding onto an unresponsive buddy)?

In current, I'd have a Jon Line in my pouch.

I train / teach to deploy a DSMB single handed.

Unresponsive diver can be secured via double-ender, if the reg is already out of their mouth.

I'm any of these scenario, you're on ascent and you knew you had sufficient gas prior to ascent... so checking the SPG is a low necessity.

Isn't it funny how safety and task loading are the reason behind so many things in diving? .... "if you can't do this simple thing (after a couple of hundred dives to build muscle memory), you shouldn't be tech diving."

I don't really understand your point

You don't need to do a couple of hundred dives to develop a function to instinctive muscle memory.... you can do a handful of dives, where you repeat the function a couple of hundred times.

Its called "practice". A wierd concept for most rec divers, I know,.... but it's something that we 'pedantic' tech divers use for development. :wink:

I just looked through the Sol manual. I don't see anywhere where it lets you configure cylinder sizes.

Sorry for your confusion. I never said I dived a Sol.

Mine is an Eon and you can enter the cylinder size for each gas and TX.

However I don't need nor use the air time remaining (Time to Die) function as I can see my tank pressure and depth and figure things out in my own mind

i.e at 30m with 100 bar I need to ascend
@ 20m with 70 bar. Need to ascend

at 10m with 30 bar I need to be doing my safety stop and claim I've got 50 bar as I'm being a naughty boy

Last edited:
Or, how about holding an anchor line in a ripping current, deploying an SMB to alert the boat to an emergency, and sharing air with a buddy (or holding onto an unresponsive buddy)? If you want to check your tank pressure, would you rather unclip an SPG, hold it up (with your 3rd hand), then clip it off again? Or glance at your wrist?
Oh good grief.

Checking your air does you zero good in that situation, it doesn't matter where the information is located.

AJ:
I could even do without SPG if I really wanted to. That maybe the key difference in our thinking?

Okay then, why care if it's a readout on your computer instead of an SPG?

I don't need AI or any tec computer for diving.

Has anyone said it is a NEED?

Unresponsive diver can be secured via double-ender, if the reg is already out of their mouth.

I'm any of these scenario, you're on ascent and you knew you had sufficient gas prior to ascent... so checking the SPG is a low necessity.

And if the diver still has the reg in their mouth? You know some agencies train to put it back in, right?

Checking it may be a low necessity, but are you saying you would never ever want to do it (in an emergency situation where both hands my have other important tasks occupying them)?

I repeat, nobody has said it's a NEED. I have simply made the point that it's less of a task load (even if you have practiced it a few hundred times).

I don't really understand your point

You don't need to do a couple of hundred dives to develop a function to instinctive muscle memory.... you can do a handful of dives, where you repeat the function a couple of hundred times.

Its called "practice". A wierd concept for most rec divers, I know,.... but it's something that we 'pedantic' tech divers use for development. :wink:

You don't understand the point? Which part? You don't understand that checking a physical SPG clipped to your waist is more of a task load than a quick glance at your wrist? Or you don't understand the irony behind acknowledging that it IS more of a task load but then arguing against changing to a lower task load procedure?

Sorry for your confusion. I never said I dived a Sol.

Gotcha. My bad.

This conversation reminds me a little bit of auto racing purists who insist that a transmission shouldn't have a synchronizer (much less be automatic or have paddle shifters) because all that "fancy tech" is just a crutch, whether it's their car or someone else's.

If a sizable portion of the market likes the idea of looking at one instrument on their wrists to see all the info they need rather than unhooking gauges and having to check multiple places, it's bound to become increasingly common whether Shearwater leads the way or not. For people who don't want to see some information, many of the screens are configurable to show exactly the info each person wants, so people who fancy themselves as purists or whatever can elect not to buy a pressure transmitter and not to display anything related to air.

This conversation reminds me a little bit of auto racing purists who insist that a transmission shouldn't have a synchronizer (much less be automatic or have paddle shifters) because all that "fancy tech" is just a crutch, whether it's their car or someone else's. . . .

Sort of, yes. A closer analogy might be auto racing purists insisting that a Ferrari transmission shouldn't have a synchronizer, be automatic, have paddle shifters, etc.

Sort of, yes. A closer analogy might be auto racing purists insisting that a Ferrari transmission shouldn't have a synchronizer, be automatic, have paddle shifters, etc.
Backup camera would be an even better analogy.

Okay then, why care if it's a readout on your computer instead of an SPG?
As I said before: I don't feel the need for AI. In my case: I don't care how I can check my air supply, to me it's important I can. SPG is cheap and does what it's supposed to do. My experience with Suunto AI is not that good that I want to spend a lot of money on AI. Therefore: I don't want AI right now. If it becomes as cheap and reliable as an SPG, I would probably consider it. Not now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom