Should Shearwater add Air Integration to its computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, lets get to it, NO diver really "needs" a computer... a depth gauge, watch and tables will work for rec or tec
Don't forget tank, and single stage regulator. Those are also minimum requirements for scuba I think. All the rest are just wants.. mask, fins, buoyancy compensator, exposure protection.

The question should be which holds more air... The transmitter or Spare Air?

Integrated Spare Air II. I see a great need.

I believe the word "need" in this discussion is loaded and not very useful. We all of us WANT to do a particular kind of dive, and carefully select gear we feel will enable us to achieve that kind of dive.

I am interested to know what types of dive cannot be done without AI?

"HOW" with AI = well, there is no "how" No gear location to learn, no manipulation techniques to learn, no "additional techniques-to-compensate-for-the-manipulation-techniques" to learn. It's just there, every time you see your depth or time. No distraction and no interference with anything. It is better hands down

This illustrates the difference between recreational and technical thinking.

So... you don't need to sync the AI? You don't need to program the gas?

For tech; you wouldn't need to repeat that process for every gas/cylinder used? You wouldn't need to apply safeguard procedures, as an error in that setup would seriously compromise diver safety?

You don't need to formulate/adopt a protocol in the event of AI electronic or battery failure? Of sync failure...

I am interested to know what types of dive cannot be done without AI?

The ones where you don't use an SPG? :D

This illustrates the difference between recreational and technical thinking.

For tech; you wouldn't need to repeat that process for every gas/cylinder used? You wouldn't need to apply safeguard procedures, as an error in that setup would seriously compromise diver safety?

You don't need to formulate/adopt a protocol in the event of AI electronic or battery failure? Of sync failure...

So realistically, on "average", how many tanks is a tech diver carrying? Doubles and a slung tank? Twin sidemounts? My understand is the most extreme dives are only carrying 5 tanks. And that's probably not happening that often. I would think at that point a diver would be better off just going to CCR with "AI".

I don't want to pretend I know tech procedures, but aren't you programming multiple tanks into your computer anyways? Why would it be so much more dangerous if those "already programmed tanks" also provided tank pressure on the computer screen. Another safety feature of AI is the computer won't let you select the wrong mix for the depth. Which we know is a big risk in technical diving. That doesn't stop someone from doing it, but if they're narced out of their mind, perhaps the computer will help them to catch their mistake. Even better would be an alarm when the computer senses a gas is being consumed that shouldn't be. Might just save some lives. And again, automatic switching on the computer would be innovative. Followed by a simple confirm.

As far as backup goes, perhaps a button SPG could be added to the tip of the SW transmitter so in the event there was an electronic failure you could still get a gas reading. Maybe since SW is so awesome they could build the most reliable transmitter ever.

Whatever the case, tech divers seem like a group of people who could figure out how to implement the best/safest procedures.

Btw, with my computer I've only synced it once. The first time. As soon as the transmitter is pressurized the gas automatically shows up on my screen. I program the mix, the tank size and the rated tank pressure.

If you're diving with a tech computer, you're going to program every gas/cylinder used anyway. The setup to pair the computer to the transmitter(s) only happens once, when you first get them.

The safeguards and procedures would be the same as they are now if you lose an SPG.

And anyway, why do you naysayers keep insisting that using AI in tech means you have to use it on all your cylinders? What would be wrong with using it on just your back mount doubles and having SPGs on all your other cylinders? Do you think you have to have the same brand and model of SPG on all your cylinders? If not, then why care if the one on your backgas is electronic and the rest aren't?

Another safety feature of AI is the computer won't let you select the wrong mix for the depth.

That's not a feature of AI. That's a feature of every tech computer. And they will let you select a gas when you are deeper than the MOD. They will just give you a stern warning about it. Even my Atom will allow that. The computer makers recognize that you could be OOA on the cylinder you are supposed to be using and have no other choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom