Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this forum?

Should there be a Solo Diving discussion section on this board?

• Yes

Votes: 125 81.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 18.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
I don't see a conflict. Is it better if I say, "One is a discussion forum over a particular dive philosophy that while it is controversial, is an agency that by all accounts stresses safety. The other (solo diving) is also controversial, but doesn't stress safety and is recognized by only one RSTC member (that I know of.)

So, one is advocated only by a small agency beyond the RSTC pale, but it's OK to discuss, but the other, which is actually certified by an RSTC member, is not. Based on everything you've said, the only relevance of your continued allusion to the RSTC would seem to be that any affirmative connection with RSTC militates AGAINST discussing a subject. I don't think that's your intent, but that's what your words lead to.

Same goes for agency size as a consideration (I believe you mentioned how small GUE is the first time around.) SDI is bigger than GUE.

There are solo divers who, by virtue of skill and equipment, are more capable of responding to an underwater crisis some collections of three buddy teams I've seen in the water. Can you honestly say there are people who are safer behind the wheel when totally plastered than some people are sober? (OK, make that in a country where drivers' licenses aren't available in Cracker Jack boxes.)

dweeb:
There are solo divers who, by virtue of skill and equipment, are more capable of responding to an underwater crisis some collections of three buddy teams I've seen in the water. Can you honestly say there are people who are safer behind the wheel when totally plastered than some people are sober? (OK, make that in a country where drivers' licenses aren't available in Cracker Jack boxes.)

A good diver isn't likely to have a problem (even alone) and is likely better able to deal with it than the poor diver who's more likely to have a problem in the first place. the problem is there seems to be far more of one group than the other and not only is solo diving not a good idea for them but diving without supervision probably isn't a good idea either. LOL

And yes I think that a good driver is very likely to be a better driver than a bad driver even when drunk.Notice though that bad driving carries much lighter penalties than good driving while drunk. LOL

back on topic...In a dive community where we see so many crawling around the bottom following a guide all this talk about solo diving seems a little silly.

ScubaDadMiami:
There is a third: DIR. :crafty:

yes but if you're DIR it solves the issue of pony bottles and solo diving.

There's another solution. We could give all the pony bottles in the world to all of the solo divers in the world and give the solo divers their own forum. Then there wouldn't be anything to argue about. We wouldn't wver see thw pony bottles because they'd be with the solo divers and of course you can't see them because they're alone and you're not there.

MikeFerrara:
yes but if you're DIR it solves the issue of pony bottles and solo diving.

There's another solution. We could give all the pony bottles in the world to all of the solo divers in the world and give the solo divers their own forum. Then there wouldn't be anything to argue about. We wouldn't wver see thw pony bottles because they'd be with the solo divers and of course you can't see them because they're alone and you're not there.
LOL. Now that's a constructive idea!

Of course it should have a place for discussion. Most progress in diving technique, it seems to me, has occurred because divers talk to each other - sharing the good and the bad. I often dive alone and accept the risk of injury or death. If someone has had an experience I can learn from, I would like to know about it and not reject the details as foolishness.

MikeFerrara:
back on topic...In a dive community where we see so many crawling around the bottom following a guide all this talk about solo diving seems a little silly.

yup, what mike said.

sleepdiver:
Of course it should have a place for discussion. Most progress in diving technique, it seems to me, has occurred because divers talk to each other.

Nope, most progress is made from the ground breakers of diving analysing how the last guy killed himself, and making sure that they teach the next batch of divers NOT to do that.

Solo diving pretty much falls into this category. (with previously stated exceptions)

First you live then you dive.
Everyone dies but not everyone really lives.
If you want to try to live forever then don’t dive.
If you do dive, dive to live.
Live to dive before you die.
And that is all I have to say about solo diving.
The Forest Gump School of Diving.
FGSD not affiliated with RSTC

for me reading opposing views on solo diving is better than moving this thread to Tech section. After all, solo divers start from recreational divers. it is this inquiring minds (recreational people) that needs to be informed of the pros and cons of solo diving.

A recreational diver may not be inclined to go to Technical section to read on Solo diving but for one reason or another the recreational diver MAY HAVE INADVERTENTLY come across SOlo Diving scenario.

Sharing the 'Flaming' on solo would help those interested in it.

Solo diving is not for everyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom