Suggestion Should we have a forum for religious discussions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This was posted by a Mod to explain why were are not going to have one...

BigJetDriver:
Rachel,

I am a religious person, that is if you consider Methodists such. Religion is the bedrock of morals, and is needed in any society, in my view.

As they say, HOWEVER, this Board, while owned by, and staffed by religious people, operates on the collective assumption that some subjects just become contentious too often, and thus interfere with the main subject of this Board. Thus it is that we do not allow discussions about race, politics, religion, and sex, and we will strive to keep it so.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness, Rachel. It is just that the subject does not fit within our self-imposed guidelines.

R. Davie
SB Staff

Supernal:
You're right, wedivebc. My original idea was to quarantine these discussions (which WILL come up again) to one place so they don't infect the whole board.

I think it's time to close the thread. Moderators please?
This may be seen by a Mod, but for best results - PM one with a link to this thread.

Closing your own thread, c'mon? There is nothing insulting at all here. Just try and take things with a sense of humor. Humor will serve you well here.

catherine96821:
But there are some really sensitive people around here
Well, it's hard to get a room full of folks without having someone who's really sensitive, and we have over 50,000 here, with over 14,000 of those being currently "active."
I'm not saying you have to walk on egg shells - you don't. But with the number of readers we have here your "voice" is very loud indeed, and reaches lots of folks with equal volume every time you hit the "submit reply" button - so none of us should be surprised to be occasionally misunderstood, almost always at odds with at least one someone who also has a keyboard, and even occasionally vilified for something said in absolute innocence and good will on our part. (And always called on anything mean or nasty :) )
As to the question of whether we should have a dedicated religious forum or not, the answer is no. For me, my religion permeates everything I do and I have no need for a special place to discuss it. And here I talk about scuba diving, which often lets me express my wonder at the works of the Creator.
As for being a cult... well, Catherine, you're hooked... but it ain't all bad, now, is it? :)
Love,
Uncle Ricky

rapidiver:
Maybe a good Danish Cartoon? :sprint:
Nice one Rap :D Nice snag too, 55 :burnout:

Religion is the bedrock of morals, and is needed in any society, in my view.

If you have a religion section its just going to degenerate into flamewars between people with this kind of viewpoint, and people like me who think that people who need religion as a crutch in order to be moral have a weak character (and by extension a nation that needs religion to be moral is similarly weak in character).

Or we could just keep flamewars like that off of scubaboard...

Religious dicussion can go wrong real fast.

I couldn't agree more.

lamont:
people who need religion as a crutch in order to be moral have a weak character (and by extension a nation that needs religion to be moral is similarly weak in character).
Do not feed the troll.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom