Show me your pics taken with your S90 or S95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantababe, Yes, you can swap lenses with the canon housing using the Inon Lenses with the 28AD Mount. but the UFL165Ad (The preferred Wide lens) does not work very well. You will most likely set-up with the UWL100AD and UCL165ADs to swap out between macro and wide - Just not as wide as the UFL165AD is the only compromise. The fix housing 28AD mount actually allows use of the UFL165AD with very little vignetting when zoomed to 35mm (the focal length the UFL165AD was designed for ). Somehow on the Canon housing, the 28ad mount, zoom to 50mm is required to eliminated vignetting and there is a loss in viewing angle)

Auto mode that switches to macro automatically has nothing to do with the housing. The Camera itself just requires the user to switch the macro setting when using modes other than Auto.

Check out the Huge FIX S90 thread. 2 to 3 hours of reading!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/317325-fisheye-fix-s90.html

I had both the Canon housing and the FIX housing and quickly sold the canon housing.

Main differences to me were:

1. Better build quality of the FIX
2. Rear wheel functionality of the FIX
3. More workable lens options on the FIX

I ended up with the FIX Housing + FIX 28AD adapter + 2x Inon UCL165AD (Macro) + Inon UFL165AD (Wide Angle) + Inon S2000 strobe

Of course one has to mention Nemrod when listing reasons to go with the FIX S90 housing.

Check out the Huge FIX S90 thread. 2 to 3 hours of reading!

have read the tread but got so bogged down with it all that it left more questions than answers, then it takes ages to go back to actually find the answers due to the length, just seems easier to ask my relivant ones when they crop up so apologies for any doubling up

I had both the Canon housing and the FIX housing and quickly sold the canon housing.

Main differences to me were:

1. Better build quality of the FIX
2. Rear wheel functionality of the FIX
3. More workable lens options on the FIX

I ended up with the FIX Housing + FIX 28AD adapter + 2x Inon UCL165AD (Macro) + Inon UFL165AD (Wide Angle) + Inon S2000 strobe

Of course one has to mention Nemrod when listing reasons to go with the FIX S90 housing.

so sorry to repeat things [i worry bout spending my money, due to the fact ive not got much so really have to justify it...to myself] you say more workble lens....but ive not got any at mo and if have the canon would get the inon adapter [when out] with the WA baynet [i understand the fix takes the inon WA so what benefit in that respect is the extra fix cost over the canon???]

the real dial would be a plus [as the "S" when held your hand covers the screen, G series the "S" button is on the top lft hand corner much easier] but how often is the functions of this dial used and what functions of this do you use??

take it nemrod is a fan [altho his pics are great, but thats the camera/photographer not the housing??

boogs, are you using two UCL165s or one? I have tried using 2x UCL165s but it is such a challenge getting things in focus.

The schooling jacks around the diver - is that at Twin Rocks ?

Would you happen to have taken the shots you posted on the same dive? if so that would be the very reason the FIX works out so well being able to do MACRO and Wide angle on the same dive.

I am using only one. And yes, it is at twin rocks. So is the snake. :)

These were taken on the same dive:

4967557254_f8910cdbc9.jpg

4966952993_f65e76c9e5.jpg

Mantababe - When shooting in Manual mode (I do 95% of the time) you will need both control rings. Also, can Canon housings be serviced where you are? It was another factor when I got my housing since my previous G10 housing eventually got sticky buttons and I couldnt get it serviced anywhere.

I am using only one. And yes, it is at twin rocks. So is the snake. :)

These were taken on the same dive:

4967557254_f8910cdbc9.jpg

4966952993_f65e76c9e5.jpg

Mantababe - When shooting in Manual mode (I do 95% of the time) you will need both control rings. Also, can Canon housings be serviced where you are? It was another factor when I got my housing since my previous G10 housing eventually got sticky buttons and I couldnt get it serviced anywhere.

you lot are certainly going some way to convincing me i NEED this housing as opposed to WANTING it :rofl3:

you say in manual you "need both control rings" but you can access the back dial on the OEM by the "S" button so have access to the functions you say [altho admit it is in an awkward place, as needs to be done with left hand which then covers the screen, BUT it CAN be done]

not sure bout the servicing but it be the same with the fix as they come from abroad so if theres a prob its still be a pain!!! however, i have heard quite few coments bout the canon buttons [altho my BF has a canon and seems perfectly happy with it]

you lot are certainly going some way to convincing me i NEED this housing as opposed to WANTING it :rofl3:

you say in manual you "need both control rings" but you can access the back dial on the OEM by the "S" button so have access to the functions you say [altho admit it is in an awkward place, as needs to be done with left hand which then covers the screen, BUT it CAN be done]

not sure bout the servicing but it be the same with the fix as they come from abroad so if theres a prob its still be a pain!!! however, i have heard quite few coments bout the canon buttons [altho my BF has a canon and seems perfectly happy with it]

haha.. its entirely up to you, you know. Its just a familiar feeling when I was looking for my first housing and with how much information you require before a purchase, you seem like the type who would still dwell on it even after pulling the trigger. Consider how often you dive, and how quickly you outgrow equipment. From my experience, just go with the best you can AFFORD and chances are you wont regret it. There's this saying:

"Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

Boogs, your photos are great.

Mantababe, you may be over science-ing this, sorry if sometimes I am a bit rough on the edges. Some people who have actually met me in person like me, imagine that :wink:.

I think you could be happy with the Canon OEM housing and S95. If you find you love the camera you can sell the Canon housing and get about 60% of your money back and get the FIX. If you don't love the camera, you are not terribly invested and can move on with less regret.

Once upon a time, long ago, when we bought a camera system we built on the basic camera body for years, even decades, now the cameras are obsolete before you walk out the door with it. I no longer think of long term with a camera system which is why I am not shooting a dSLR, I am not a pro, I refuse to spend 8,000 dollars on a system that is obsolete in a year or even in a few months. If I made a living with my camera, that is different, just for fun, no way.

James (N)

I have not had my fix s90 for more than a few months and the s95 is announced and the fix s90 is discontinued.

I spent about a month and a half deciding on the housing to get with the s90.

Now I am looking for another s90 as a spare since I already have a lot invested in the fix s90 housing.

Of course, all this while hoping to get more time with the camera underwater.

Boogs, your photos are great.

Mantababe, you may be over science-ing this, sorry if sometimes I am a bit rough on the edges. Some people who have actually met me in person like me, imagine that :wink:.

I think you could be happy with the Canon OEM housing and S95. If you find you love the camera you can sell the Canon housing and get about 60% of your money back and get the FIX. If you don't love the camera, you are not terribly invested and can move on with less regret.

Once upon a time, long ago, when we bought a camera system we built on the basic camera body for years, even decades, now the cameras are obsolete before you walk out the door with it. I no longer think of long term with a camera system which is why I am not shooting a dSLR, I am not a pro, I refuse to spend 8,000 dollars on a system that is obsolete in a year or even in a few months. If I made a living with my camera, that is different, just for fun, no way.

James (N)

james thats a much better reply than the one on the other forum [as you will see :wink: from that last forum yes, im surprised [very] that people actually like you........:mooner:

i do tend to over "science" and look into things far too much [but then that is me, i spend a lot of money on this hobby/diving but i do question it a lot before hand, so patience is most welcomed....please]

bascially i love the look of the fix housing esp use of the wheel, but my finances are more suited to the canon plus i can also get the WA len. but i WANT the fix, just been trying to find reasons for me NEEDING the fix :rofl3: i like your suggeston bout selling it getting 50% back would be great if i go down that route.

your pics are great and the fact they taken with a compact is even better. i know whatever system i get i find an improvement on my great F31. altho cameras do change quickly, im hoping to keep this system for a while and i certainly start thinking bout a spare camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom