Show us your log!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I built my own logbook in the early 2000s. I disliked all the logbooks that I could find, so I went out and bought a Five Star three-ring daily planner with a zippered nylon shell; designed my own logbook pages; and got the leaves professionally printed on glossy, water-resistant paper. They're 5.5" x 8.5" -- half-letter-size sheets.

At the time I made the thing, nobody was selling anything like it for scuba... In retrospect, I could've marketed this system and made a small fortune.

logbook_image.jpg

I'm an inveterate paper logger, but I recently gave Subsurface a try and was impressed to see how many different data formats it supported. Before trying electronic logging, I just assumed they all used proprietary formats. I'm still not quite sure how it works with the different formats. Not giving up my paper log just yet.
Subsurface mostly uses a standard xml format. The exports to the various websites work, although I haven't tried to export to a local file for a few months. The printing also works rather well.

My primary log these days is Diving Log on my PC since that way I'm logging my depth profile as well at the notes. The database is stored in my DropBox folder, so it's backed up to the cloud in case of hard disk crashes. But given my deep distrust in digital storage - not so much the safety of the file itself, but more the long-term compatibility of file formats - I duplicate the notes on paper.

My first logbook was the one in my PADI OWD crew pack, so I've just continued buying PADI logbooks as they fill up. Right now I'm on my third, the latest is in a binder and follows me on trips and outings, the others are standing in my bookshelf next to the course textbooks and other diving-related literature. They're probably overpriced, but my OCD is kept happy by having all my log notes in roughly the same format.

Here's mine.

brain1.jpg

Totally the best logbook you can have, until it starts going to hell obviously, then you might regret not having it written down on paper, when you can't even remember your own name. Still some 50 years or so before that should start to happen. So I'm not worried yet.

I like to keep both paper and electronic logs. One of my favorite things about using subsurface is the accompanying app that lets me pull my logs up and look over a dive right on my phone. It's come in handy more than once, even if just for quick reference.Screenshot_20170622-070548.png

I never logged dives between 1962 and June, 2000. Started logging after that though as I planned to do international dive travel. Use Uwatec's SmartTRAK. I also transfer basic info onto a digital log archived on my web site so I can show instructors/dive ops on-line when I travel. I also have my c-cards available on-line in case I forget to bring them on a trip (hasn't happened so far).
dive log on-line sample page.jpg

All my dives are logged electronically into a phone. Sort of. I am a tech person but a little lazy when it comes to upgrades.

So my dives from my uwatec Aladin (circa 1995) gets downloaded into a pair of palm pilot tungsten W's (circa 2003 cell phone with keypad and touch screen). I have a pair of palm pilots in case 1 dies, so i download twice. At the end of each trip a palm pilot is downloaded to a Windows XP computer for backup purposes.

The palm runs an app called Paladin that displays a nice graph of your dive profile.

At some point I will have to bite the bullet and figure out how to download my Aladin to an Android phone. But not a job for today...

I use Subsurface (long time user of Linux) save my database to Dropbox and a copy on local HD. I also export to divelog.de where you can convert your entire log book to a pdf file. Save to Dropbox, computer or print out if you must have paper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom