Simple question about removing backup regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a few points of my own....

1. If you don't know how to unscrew a reg hose - then it is unlikely that you have the depth of knowledge and experience to safely solo dive.

2. Spare Air is barely sufficient for a direct ascent to the surface from 100ft. It will not suffice if you are stressed and hyper-ventilating.

3. Spare Air takes time to deploy and can be dropped.

4. Spare Air is less reliable and robust than a proper regulator and tank.

5. Your primary second stage can be damaged, dropped or entangled and pulled from your mouth.

6. Damage to a primary second stage could easily include; torn diaphragm, dislodged purge valve, mouthpiece separation etc

7. AAS/Octopus is effective for self-rescue, not just for supplying OOA buddies.

8. AAS/Octopus can be bungeed around your neck for instant access (and no-hands, if you position it properly and practice getting it by dipping your chin).

1. If you don't know how to unscrew a reg hose - then it is unlikely that you have the depth of knowledge and experience to safely solo dive.

I must have missed that chapter in my training. Forgive me if I am wrong but I would say that my training has beat into me NOT to do anything to my equipment.... that it should be done by someone properly trained in the servicing of said equipment. It seems simple enough to simply unscrew and plug... but I sought advice before doing so. Perhaps if you actually took the time to think about what you are saying your opinion here would change.

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here at the risk of being lynched but I think it needs to be said.

Learning to dive on the INTERNET is a BAD IDEA.
Expanding your knowledge or getting differing views is a GOOD IDEA.

Based on all I've read here, and the questions you are asking, you are diving beyond your training and experience and that is a bad idea.

I strongly suggest you go get some hands-on, supervised training both in the math, planning and practicality of doing "these types" of dives before you go do it.

I applaud your enthusiasm but I question the method you're using to accomplish it.

I'm sure everyone has heard of "Murphy's Law"...we'll I added a second sentence to it..

"What ever can go wrong will go wrong and at the most inopportune time. (B) Murphy is constantly trying to kill us, thank god he sucks at it".

Take an actual class for my own peace of mind please, or I'll probably worry about you until I see your next post wondering if you're alive or not.

Or you could just get a mentor and you wouldn't have to pay an instructor. You live in Jacksonville right? I'm under two hours away, and I'll dive with you any time you want. Then you will not be "learning on the internet".

Last edited:
Just a few points of my own....

2. Spare Air is barely sufficient for a direct ascent to the surface from 100ft. It will not suffice if you are stressed and hyper-ventilating.

3. Spare Air takes time to deploy and can be dropped.

4. Spare Air is less reliable and robust than a proper regulator and tank.

5. Your primary second stage can be damaged, dropped or entangled and pulled from your mouth.

6. Damage to a primary second stage could easily include; torn diaphragm, dislodged purge valve, mouthpiece separation etc

7. AAS/Octopus is effective for self-rescue, not just for supplying OOA buddies.

8. AAS/Octopus can be bungeed around your neck for instant access (and no-hands, if you position it properly and practice getting it by dipping your chin).

For a tech instructor and dive shop manager, you come across as really condescending on here sometimes.

Last edited:
I've requested tht this thread be split or moved to the "solo" section of the board. It stoped being a "regulator" thread after the first couple posts.

Best wishes.

Hey Mc,

Shark brought up a valid point to me VIA Pm. Just because some of us are recommending ideas does not mean that you should run off by yourself with testing them out first. I know you are a smart guy, and I am totally not trying to sound like I think I am your Dad or anything of the sort. I know you are a grown up, and I know that you know that the first time you try these new techniques out should not be on a solo dive or in challenging conditions. I know you already know this, but I wanted to make sure that I was not trying to persuade you past your confidence level. Basically, just be safe. If you need a dive buddy, PM me and I'll dive with you a few times, I can always use more drinking/diving buddies. I am not by my nature a solo diver, so if you want an extra set of eyeballs around when you do some of this stuff, I'd be more than happy to split or share charter/fuel/spring fees with you. I am not talking trying to be your divemaster, I mean if you need to test some stuff out and just need a plain old dive buddy, I will come dive with you.

Also, after talking to Sharkdiver, he is a heck of a nice guy. I'm sure if you thought he was out of left field that he was only trying to be nice. He just sent me a PM and he seems like a super friendly guy. I think he just wants to make sure that you aren't going to run off into the ocean half-cocked. You wouldn't, but lots of people in diving are just waiting for natural selection to occur :wink:

Last edited:
I hear yah. Nothing you guys tell me falls on death ears. I would love to dive with you sometime soon. We can do it up there, or you can come here. We have a pretty sweet setup... it is a 25 foot proline with dive ladder and platform. HOWEVER, its not my boat so I don't exactly get to dictate when where and who... although I do have a strong influence.

Just a point though... with the the exception of the drag line, there really isn't anything new. I will have a bigger backup tank (easier to use) then I am used to, but that is about it. Its not like there is going to be some major change compared to the dives I have already done many times.... I will just be a lot safer.

I have said it once, and I will say it again. Diving solo is a lot like masturbation. I would much rather have someone down there with me to confirm the GIANT snapper or whatever that I saw. It sucks not being able to experience these dives with someone else!

I hear yah. Nothing you guys tell me falls on death ears. I would love to dive with you sometime soon. We can do it up there, or you can come here. We have a pretty sweet setup... it is a 25 foot proline with dive ladder and platform. HOWEVER, its not my boat so I don't exactly get to dictate when where and who... although I do have a strong influence.

Just a point though... with the the exception of the drag line, there really isn't anything new. I will have a bigger backup tank (easier to use) then I am used to, but that is about it. Its not like there is going to be some major change compared to the dives I have already done many times.... I will just be a lot safer.

I have said it once, and I will say it again. Diving solo is a lot like masturbation. I would much rather have someone down there with me to confirm the GIANT snapper or whatever that I saw. It sucks not being able to experience these dives with someone else!

I knew you were one of the smart ones, I just didn't want to risk trying to persuade you down the proverbial primrose path. You tell your buddy if he wants some help on fuel costs that I'll throw in with you guys. I'll even dive your plans or profiles, I'm not picky. I can even dive during the week, depending on when.

I've requested tht this thread be split or moved to the "solo" section of the board. It stoped being a "regulator" thread after the first couple posts.

Best wishes.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

After checking this with the OP we decided to keep the thread intact and move the whole thread to the solo forum instead of splitting it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom