Sipadan in July/August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive_Girl_09

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi - I am looking for advice!

I would like to dive at Sipadan end of July/beginning of August. How likely will it be that I get on the boat to Sipadan? How is the weather in general during this time in respect to visibility and waves?

July and August are peak season there, so no problems on that front.

As for "getting on the boat" there are several boats--at least one from each resort--and individual resorts get a certain number of permits to take divers to Sipadan each day. It is up to the resort to assign these permits. Obviously when the resorts are full, as they are likely to be at that time of year, there is more competetion for the permits than there is during the slow season.

Don't think its a big problem as long as you have a place to stay and there are empty slots on the dive boats, irrespective if you are going out for day dives at sipadan, mabul, kapalai....dive companies usually have sufficient boats to cope.

Last edited:
Hi Dive Girl,

July/August is the best time to dive Sipadan - excellent visibility and staggering amounts of fish.

How long are you planning to stay for? Usually the longer your stay in resorts the more days you will be able to dive at Sipadan - the more tickets you have in the lottery.

A great way to maximise your diving on Sipadan is a trip on MV Celebes Explorer - choosing this liveaboard normally means that you can dive at Sipadan on Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for all your great coments!
I was initially contemplating about diving with Seaventures, but might consider a liveaboard or small resort as well. The length of my stay would be around 5 days after a business trip to Singapore. Since I am travelling alone; will I be able to find dive buddys? I mean, I do not like to be the only single amongst couples, or even honeymooners.

I've been to Sipadan by myself and usually end up hanging around the DM when I'm not avoiding the crowds :D

Enjoy !

Thanks for all your great coments!
I was initially contemplating about diving with Seaventures, but might consider a liveaboard or small resort as well. The length of my stay would be around 5 days after a business trip to Singapore. Since I am travelling alone; will I be able to find dive buddys? I mean, I do not like to be the only single amongst couples, or even honeymooners.

The liveaboards are generally a close knit community given the close confines of the boat and its a great opportunity to mix and also talk diving with other couples or individuals...don't think it should be a problem.

Key is picking a good dive buddy I reackon...

You might find honeymooners at the over-water bungalow-type places but at the more moderate resorts (in line with Seaventures prices), you will probably not be the only singleton.

Most DMs will try to pair insta-buddies according to some criteria other than just being singles--like experience level, for example. And during non-diving times, such as at meal time, you might to try to approach non-honeymooners and ask if you can join them. You'll be on the boat with lots of people and it's likely you'll meet some you will be able to hang out with.

I was out at seaventures last week..went alone as I usually do, and ended up hanging out with a brit who was also out there alone, started chit chatting and ended up buddying/pairing up for the next few days...community is quite warm and welcoming I reackon...

Back
Top Bottom