SMB attach to BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elduderino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The SMB I got came with this bungee cord attached shown in the picture below. I was thinking of threading that through one of the holes on the right side of the backplate and then putting it around the SMB. It seems to be pretty secure and unlikely the bungee will slip off. Is that what it's there for?

Attachments

• 20230316_141912.jpg
    20230316_141912.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 20230316_145533.jpg
    20230316_145533.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 128
I dont know. Maybe.

I tie my dsmb down to those backplate holes. 2 bungies though. The bungies stay with the plate. I remove them if not bringing a dsmb.

Generally in warm water, I skip it.

I dont know. Maybe.

I tie my dsmb down to those backplate holes. 2 bungies though. The bungies stay with the plate. I remove them if not bringing a dsmb.

Generally in warm water, I skip it.
That's how I was planning to do it. But then noticed the bungee so was curious

That smb is like the ones offer...
A few options...I don't like to rely on bungee alone. If just carrying the smb I prefer to boltsnap it to waist rear d ring then a bungee to plate.
If using a spool, you can pre-attach as seen below and use the bungee to keep it all together.
20230317_120317-removebg-preview (1).png

Sometimes, I use the bolt snap that is in my pocket to clip in the SMB with that bungee. That way you don’t drop it if you pull it out of your pocket, especially if you carry a few things in the pocket. I use a Halcyon BP so it has a pouch for these things but I don’t seem to use it very often. You could mount it the way you described as long as you can easily access it if needed.

That smb is like the ones offer...
A few options...I don't like to rely on bungee alone. If just carrying the smb I prefer to boltsnap it to waist rear d ring then a bungee to plate.
If using a spool, you can pre-attach as seen below and use the bungee to keep it all together.View attachment 774904
I've never seen bungee going through the spool. I'll have to try that out, hopefully next week. Thanks for posting the pic.

This is what I ended up doing for now. Bungee around spool (thx for the suggestion) and two bungees attached to the plate with the bolt snap attached to one just in case. Seems pretty secure but I can get it out easily. On land at least. I'll have to test in the water.

I don't think I'd want the SMB attached via the bungee, might be more of a pain than what it's worth when you want to remove it with thick gloves and one hand, I'd rather clip it with a double ender.

Gloves? If Im in a dry suit, my DSMB would be in a thigh pocket.

I dont connect my spool before hand, since it may have other uses. And the DSMB is as likely to be used on the surface, as it is launched from below.

Its hanging low in this pic. It freely swing back when you put the plate on.

20230318_173215.jpg

Yea prob varies based on how you dive. I just dive recreationally in warm water so no gloves and the chances of me ever having to use a SMB are probably less than 1% since the dive master does that. I tested it out on land with my eyes closed and it's not hard to get free, you just undo the bottom bungee and then pull down and unclip the double ender from the bungee. I'll test it in the water and make adjustments if necessary
I don't think I'd want the SMB attached via the bungee, might be more of a pain than what it's worth when you want to remove it with thick gloves and one hand, I'd rather clip it with a double ender.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom