Smelly Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amcordon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So my dive booties are pretty stinky. :cool2: I'm not sure what to do about it.

My dive buddy suggested soaking them in five gallons of water with a cup of white vinegar overnight. But I tried that and no luck.

Does sink the stink work for neoprene?

Any other home remedies I could try?

After every dive weekend, I take all my neoprene to the local laundermat and wash it all in the commercial, sideloading wash machine. I use a small amount of typical laundry soap (liquid), and then dry them out on my deck. Sounds like you may need to soak these boots in an antibacterial neoprene soap sold in your LDS. Maybe ask them what they do with all their rental gear. Hope it helps.

Safe diving to you.

I had the same problem my LDS sold me a bottle of "Odor be gone" from marine sports dive products i added 1 ounce if OBG to a 5 gallon bucket and soaked for 24 hours then rinse and dry the smell like new boots now

I use a little bit of laundry detergent and then a little Downy when I clean my wetsuit, boots and gloves. Make sure you hang you booties upside down so the water can drain out properly.
I've been cleaning my gear this why since I started diving and hasn't hurt my gear and it does a great job.

I have the stinking booties problem too and I tried them all: vinegar, shampoo, Sink a Stink. Didn't work all that great even when soaked overnight.

Know what works best? Sunlight. Yes. Sunlight can kill vampires (except for the ones in Twilight), and it can kill the stink. Turn your booties inside out. Yes, it's hard but you can do it. Throw them out in the sun for a few hours. Voila!!!

After every dive weekend, I take all my neoprene to the local laundermat and wash it all in the commercial, sideloading wash machine.

A friend of mine wants to know what a sideloading wash machine is? :idk:

a front loader. search it on best buy or sears & you'll see pictures. they are also at most laundromats if yours is a top loader.

i wash my neoprene stuff after every dive session - like after the dive day, or the end of the week-long trip - in my front loader. i use a bit of suit shampoo (or woolite) and put walmart brand listerine in the wash water and the rinse water. i don't turn the booties totally inside-out, but i do turn down the cuffs as much as i can.

i've used mirazyme and sink the stink both before, and they work fine, but i haven't had to use them once i started a listerine rinse. i also use listerine in the bc bladder every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom