Smoking, equipment and AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd bet a nicotine addict posted the last post.

Many places require that you have your own gear to do AOW and are familiar with it. In an situation with rented gear will the person react quick enough, probably not. When I was looking for a place at home to do my AOW none would take you with rented gear. I certed with PADI and was surprised to learn that an extra 5 dives makes you an AOWdiver, well you get a card! If you do your OW and then AOW right after you are not advanced. Most serious divers do not smoke, anything that decreases lung efficiency is not a good thing.

this thread likes to take random smoke breaks doesnt it?

rofl,,
i will match anyone here on air consumption. $1000 says you will be the asd
(air sucking dog) who comes up first. i will leave any further remarks from the above post alone about smoking after saying i realize humans are naturally prejidous and easily mis led by the media. your health, abilties and intelegence has nothing with what my personal habits so leave smoking out of this.

good or bad diving habits are a result of experience and familiarity with your equipment and their interaction with the open water. that is the difference in divers.

sounds to me this was a fairly novice and new diver. he was probably sucking air because he was seeing his first fish up close. remember when you first started diving how exciting and thrilling it was. i remember it as being awesome and is every time still.
lots of other reasons for being a asd current health, weight, familarity, etc.

*EDIT* Holy crap who dragged up this old thread? The principles in this thread are probably dead from lung cancer by now anyway. :)

i think it is great you are taking advanced classes and just as great the other guy was too. the more you dive the better and safer it gets. maybe you should ask for a private class or at least closer attention next time.

LOL, that would be funny if my old friend still cave dived. She would take your money, maybe even buy me a nice dinner for hooking her up with an easy 1k. I know girls breathing .3 and less SAC rates. Are you that low?

He may be . . . I've done some cave diving with a beautifully fit professional videographer who is 6' tall, and he matches my SAC rate exactly. He's utterly relaxed and totally efficient in the water.

Let's compare apples to apples here.

My usual dive buddy smokes like a chimney. If you could put smoke in a tank, he'd have one in a second. But, the guy also runs Marathons! His SAC is MILES below that of an average diver. (Including me, a moderate smoker, who is in decent shape)

Would he be better if he didn't smoke? I honestly don't know, because one of the key factors in SAC is relaxation; and if a smoke before a dive relaxes him, then is that good or bad?:D

Smoking a pipe 3X daily seemingly hasn't given me any air consumption/carbon monoxide issues. Then again 3 packs or so.....

Sure, if your diving habit is just going to go down to Cozumel 1 wk/yr or so, don't spend money on equipment. But if you are committed to doing advance courses, you need to have your own stuff. Don't you think?
:rofl3:
Have you dived Cozumel...???

Eventually smoking will have a neg effect on a divers. Tom Mount, the psy of diving. Smoking makes the bronchi less efficient.

Ummmmm, I think he meant there were 3 students plus an Instructor as well as a Rescue Diver...5 total divers. :14:

I thought the same thing, then the OP shared his air with another student.

Where was the instructor while this monstrosity was going on? Why did a student need to ask about the other student's air?

Back
Top Bottom