Sneezing Underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm actually exhaling through my nose, it keeps the mask dry and it helps me equalize my ears on a regular basis, only problem I had is that sometimes the air from the mask escapes into the hood and then I become positively bouyant and have to slap the top of my head to get rid of it..

The added value is that you don't need to sneeze because your nose is clean, no mask squeezes and "free" mask clearing..

I once started to feel really congested while on a dive, out of nowhere. I was concerned that I might have a reverse block problem, so I took my mask off and blew my nose several times, as effectively as I could. Put my mask on and cleared--no problem.

diverDano:
is there a problem with embolising, or not, with all the pressure in a sneeze, while breathing compressed air????

If you have a PFO you are a risk....but you are at risk diving anyway if you have a PFO. If you are talking about barotrama if you are equalized before the sneeze it will be just like sneezing on the surface.....but I am no doctor so take this for what it is worth. :D

Chad

I usually hold my mask to my face and my reg in my mouth. Then when I'm done I remove my mask and wash it out. Good times.

boulderjohn:
I once started to feel really congested while on a dive, out of nowhere. I was concerned that I might have a reverse block problem, so I took my mask off and blew my nose several times, as effectively as I could. Put my mask on and cleared--no problem.

During skin or scuba dives I consistently get some nasal congestion as I approach 30 minutes of runtime. I just apply pressure to one nostril at a time and let it rip. If anything does come out it seems clear right through the nose pocket.

The same technique has worked well when I had trouble clearing my ears.

Pete

Yet one more reason I find a mask with a purge valve handy . . .

Yes, holding the second stage in one's mouth with one's hand helps when sneezing, coughing, etc. - one less nusiance thing to deal with.

I have never been sick to my stomach through my regulator yet, but have read of others who have. I think I would thumb the dive if I didn't feel that well - in fact, I think I'd stay in bed and rest up to get better for the next day.

I’m a frequent surface sneezer, good of you to be thinking ahead. I didn’t and was a bit concerned as the urge occurred underwater but same as cough no problem. Just checked buoyancy for neutral as they are usually a whole body experience, made sure all airways were open, held my reg gently incase I blew or shook it out and waited for it. Yeck, a snotty nose would be gross; one of those things I hope to avoid when diving like urping.

WarmWaterDiver:
Yet one more reason I find a mask with a purge valve handy . . .

Yes, holding the second stage in one's mouth with one's hand helps when sneezing, coughing, etc. - one less nusiance thing to deal with.

I have never been sick to my stomach through my regulator yet, but have read of others who have. I think I would thumb the dive if I didn't feel that well - in fact, I think I'd stay in bed and rest up to get better for the next day.

yeah, i like the purge valve alot... snot seems to go right through :11doh: I also tend to exhale alot through my nose and equalizing doesn't to be much of an issue.

as for being sick, once I throw up I'm good to go! Haven't thown up IN the water (yet) but boy 100% better and ready to dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom