Sneezing Underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am one of those that learned first hand what it is like to throw up in your regulator. I don't suggest it- not a fun experience!!!

Sneezing has a bigger impact on your dive buddy, it's quite disconcerting to figure out what's happening when your buddy is appearing to spasm in distress, making an odd distressed underwater yelp, and then you see an explosion of bubbles and goop. Is he drowning ? Then a close look into his eyes to see if he's ok, and you realise that he's slimed the inside of his mask, that's when you work out what's happened. Underwater Sneezes can appear and sound quite dramatic to the casual observer. Probably the second most worrying underwater body function.

It's weird as hell the first time you do it...

I spent half of a dive sneezing once, freaked the DM out. When I surfaced, my mask was full of snot, was pretty gross.

Just keep the regulator in, and sneeze like normal.

Weird, but it works fine. Rinse your mask when you're done (and before anyone else on the boat sees it).

-Brandon.

Yes, I have done both. (sneezed and coughed). Just hold the reg in. If you mask moves around, you can adjust it later.

My condolences to Scuba RN. I hope to never chum in my reg. I hear it attracts the fish, though.

fairbanksdiver:
It's weird as hell the first time you do it...

My first sneeze was hilarious. As someone else said it really is a full body expierence. I haven't had any snot problems, but it does feel really funny when your underwater.

I've never experienced it, I guess because most of my sneezes are brought on by stuff in the air, or can be stopped by not breathing through my nose. Since I'm breathing through my mouth, no sneeze.

I sneezed for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I could feel it coming for about thirty seconds before it happened, and had quite a bit of anxiety. But I just held onto my mask and reg and did it. I mentioned it to my buddy back on the boat, because I thought that it would have looked weird, but he hadn't noticed anything.

I gave my mask and reg an extra good rinse after that dive. :)

I've sneezed. Kind of snotty into the nose pocket of my mask...wasn't pretty. Then I flooded my mask laughing at myself. I cough all of the time...that air through the reg gets very dry. It is physically possible...just very wierd.

First time I did it, I nearly blew the mask off completely LOL!

Luckly my mask is black so I found the snot mess without anyone else noticing.

My buddy was laughing so hard he was coughing water LOL!

What he told me was I stopped moving a bit then a loud Ahhhh blawwww came, bubbles all over the place with me trying to hold my mask in place.

Things we can do underwater LOL!

SangP

Yes, I've sneezed and coughed underwater. Fortunately my few sneezes have been entirely through my mouth so I didn't have to worry about my mask, but a simple mask removal could take care of that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom