Snorkeler attacked and killed by Bull Shark at Seychelles while on honeymoon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same concept. Food = people
Wrong...if they do not eat, their is no association taking place...Not to mention, in natural feeding events, like the death of a whale, there will be many species of fish which show up, such as big groupers and many other large marine life that are NOT associated by the sharks to be related to the food event.

Now, if you had spearfisherman that were frequently shooting cobia off of the backs of bullsharks, and frequently the sharks got agresssive with the struggling cobia and blood that the spearfisherman had to "give up" the cobia to the shark ( or any other fish they shot where the shark wAS ABLE to come in and frequently steal the fish) , THEN...the actions of the spearfisherman would cause the sharks to associate humans with eating.....
This actually DOES happen. But this is another group of divers doing this, we have not talked about so far :)

These spearfisherman shooting the cobia off the backs of bullsharks, need to be seen as a real threat ( few people are aware of this) , and their behavior should be criminalized, in my opinion.

Wrong...if they do not eat, their is no association taking place...
You sound pretty certain of this. I don't know why; I would expect the opposite. Either way, I think there is room for quite a bit of skepticism. But I would welcome any scientific evidence.

Before I form an opinion I want to hear the shark's account of the events.

Put your ear near its mouth maybe it'll explain things.

It is the person that threw the match on the gasoline fault. Gasoline and matches don't start fires people do.

If I never hear "Rogue" again it will be too soon. Most annoying word I've heard repeatedly used over the last couple years. Apparently officials in the Seychelles watched Discovery channel this year too. I wonder how many people will fall for their "Rogue" shark theory, as if it's so unlikely for a shark to be in their Ocean.

The dog analogy is a good one. Some breeds seem to be involved in more killing and maimings. Whether it is a shark or a dog, if it has the word bull attached to it's name I prefer not to be around them.

Yes, I agree. "Pet store owner, I will take two of those dogs in the window, which may or may not eat a 5 year old".

If I never hear "Rogue" again it will be too soon. Most annoying word I've heard repeatedly used over the last couple years.
I agree. For at least two years, more like three.

going_rogue.jpg

Do you think it was a maverick shark?
:D

they are not shark attacks.
They are shark feedings.
When we go to subway it is not a human attack.
:D

Yes, I agree. "Pet store owner, I will take two of those dogs in the window, which may or may not eat a 5 year old".
Depending on the type of dog and how it is/is not trained it may very well become seriously dangerous to your kids, yes.
Its not like you never hear of dogs maiming or killing people..

Yes, it's hard to imagine more compelling evidence against shark feeding. Yet, when I shared those findings in the original thread about those attacks, they met with disdain from the Red Sea dive professionals in that thread. As Upton Sinclair said, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"
It was NOT just dive professionals that does not believe regular feeding of sharks is a major issue in the Red Sea, it was also a lot of regular guests, including myself. When you NEVER see anyone feeding any sealife, its not exactly the most likely scenario that this happens "all the time"..

Back
Top Bottom