So I've got a friend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I encourage all you solo divers to come and live chat and try to talk some sense into him.

ScubaBoard - Chat

Is this your friend master00sniper?

Yes that would be my friend.

I encourage all you solo divers to come and live chat and try to talk some sense into him.

ScubaBoard - Chat

Couldn't hurt. I might have gotten some sense into him with the help of this thread, he at least said he would go and buy the SDI Solo manual

Never mind posting, just get him to READ here. It took me only half a rainy afternoon (yesterday) to get from "I'm so frustrated, I'll buy a SpareAir and go solo" to "Will I get a 19 or a 40 cf pony, and will I sling or mount?".
Thanks, y'all.

He's got a grand total of 4 dives post OW. 3 of them have been solo. he knows he's being safe because he carries a Spare Air. When sac rates get mentioned, he links a PopularMechaniacs article saying the thing lasts for "less than a minute" at 100' 3.0 stressed Sac rate, 20 seconds at 100'. I get him to sign up for the Solo section here, yet he refuses to post. I'm going to abstain from comment on what he's been doing, but I would like to hear other's thoughts on the subject.

i can't add to the things the other guys have said here. i had my fill of the people who had done a couple of dives and spent a lot of time reading about other divers on the internet so were experts, scared me s******* a good reason for me to solo! THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE even then you can get it wrong, and i still think i have a lot to learn.

i'm more concerned about how upset you seem, it's really great that you are trying to help your friend. it would be really easy to turn your back & say it's his look-out. hope you succeed & that you both have many years of safe diving ahead of you.

I can never quite understand what thought processes must exist in a person's brain, where they have admittedly no experience in something, but then feel they must know better than anyone else.

It's like some kind of autism, where reality is obscured through the ego over-riding any other restraining input. An inability to recognise or accept that another person could have an understand of something that exceeds your own.

To me, that type of egotism seems like it must be very self-destructive. Combine that with the dangers of scuba diving and it becomes potentially fatal.

I can never quite understand what thought processes must exist in a person's brain, where they have admittedly no experience in something, but then feel they must know better than anyone else.

It's like some kind of autism, where reality is obscured through the ego over-riding any other restraining input. An inability to recognise or accept that another person could have an understand of something that exceeds your own.

To me, that type of egotism seems like it must be very self-destructive. Combine that with the dangers of scuba diving and it becomes potentially fatal.

I think this guy wrote a book about this subject.

I believe it must have something to do with youth. It wasn't until I got a bit older (maybe a lot older) that I finally realized that with most of the things that I know a lot about, whether its diving or skiing or computers or what ever. The more I learned the more I realized there was much more that I could learn about any number of interests that I have. Hopefully this guy will realize that there may be a few things he could learn before he makes solo diving a regular event.......

I thought the guy concerned was a troll initially. It was just too crazy that someone that inexperienced would hold such a high estimation of their capabilities, to the point of risking their life whilst over-ruling the general community consensus and advice by significantly more knowledgeable divers.

The false consensus effect and overconfidence: flaws in judgment or flaws in how we study judgment?
Publication Name:Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes
====================================================================

The Trouble with Overconfidence.
Psychological review, Vol. 115, No. 2. (April 2008), pp. 502-517.

Abstract:
The authors present a reconciliation of 3 distinct ways in which the research literature has defined overconfidence: (a) overestimation of one's actual performance, (b) overplacement of one's performance relative to others, and (c) excessive precision in one's beliefs. Experimental evidence shows that reversals of the first 2 (apparent underconfidence), when they occur, tend to be on different types of tasks. On difficult tasks, people overestimate their actual performances but also mistakenly believe that they are worse than others; on easy tasks, people underestimate their actual performances but mistakenly believe they are better than others. The authors offer a straightforward theory that can explain these inconsistencies. Overprecision appears to be more persistent than either of the other 2 types of overconfidence, but its presence reduces the magnitude of both overestimation and overplacement.
===========================================================

I believe it must have something to do with youth. It wasn't until I got a bit older (maybe a lot older) that I finally realized that with most of the things that I know a lot about, whether its diving or skiing or computers or what ever. The more I learned the more I realized there was much more that I could learn about any number of interests that I have. Hopefully this guy will realize that there may be a few things he could learn before he makes solo diving a regular event.......

i really wish it were just youth, but i've met people in their 30's & 40's who are just the same. it's mainly men, but there are some women too who just need to prove that they are better than everyone else.

i wonder if it comes from a lack of real confidence in themselves and the need to brag & prove they are better than everyone else. If i'm right then it's just another thing they are c*** at!

Just make sure he puts you in his will if he keeps doing this. Spare Airs are fine for their intended use. So if his helo ditches and he needs a couple breaths to get free of it he's fine. Otherwise it one of the least intelligent things that he can do. In addition soloing with so few dives tells me either his training really sucked, he doesn't care about himself, he doesn't care about his family, and certainly doesn't care about you. Find another friend- this one is dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom