So Much for DEPP Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooo is there a problem double insuring. DEPP has NO problem issuing new policies and responds to emails promptly when you are in the buying stage. I got a DEPP policy the day this thread started. Now I am really sorry I did. I am contacting Dive Assure to ask them the WTF question as their website is what linked me to DEPP and they bear some responsibility in my mind for dealing with a company that seems to lack service. I'm thinking about also getting DAN equipment insurance to be doubly safe. Between my dive gear, my wife's dive gear and our camera gear we come in close to 12 grand.

Sooo is there a problem double insuring. DEPP has NO problem issuing new policies and responds to emails promptly when you are in the buying stage. I got a DEPP policy the day this thread started. Now I am really sorry I did. I am contacting Dive Assure to ask them the WTF question as their website is what linked me to DEPP and they bear some responsibility in my mind for dealing with a company that seems to lack service. I'm thinking about also getting DAN equipment insurance to be doubly safe. Between my dive gear, my wife's dive gear and our camera gear we come in close to 12 grand.

Due to the email I got directly from the President of DEPP specifically outling from the policy that the company has the choice to repair or replace with .... reconditioned ...or USED equipment. Yes, USED equipment. It says the repair, replace with like kind or quality with. Only problem is they did neither. They just sent me a check with no explanation of how the claim was adjusted and almost 60 days later have ignored my emails. Not until i got my renewal notice several days ago via email, I responded to non-renew my policy and requested once again information regarding additional funds owed to me on my claim and was told the claim was closed. I requested for more than 4 months a claim number and was never provided a claim number. The service is rediculous. As long as you are paying them premiums or the promise of payment they will respond. If you need information from them or have a claim, good luck dragging information or data. I have read many with similar circumstances as I. As other insurance, its fine as long as you dont have a claim.

Sooo is there a problem double insuring.
There can be. Many policies stipulate that in the case of multiple policies that they are only "supplemental" insurance. Consequently, they only want to pay what the other company won't (less any deductibles). If both your policies contain this clause, you are really at a loss to compel ONE to take the brunt of the loss. It can be a real lose/lose situation.

When it comes to these high end cameras, I would suggest that you go with ONE underwriter that you can count on. To date, I have not had a response from DEPP to my query about this thread. I don't know what else is out there, but I would be wary of unresponsive agents.

If you read this or other forums about the DEPP program (brokered by the company Innovative Programs Group, Inc), you will see a recurring pattern in the complaints.

Their excuse is over and over the same: that they did not get some information.

Either the emails you sent them went into their spam, the letters you sent to them were never received by them or any information some third party provided was never received by them. And they refuse to communicate via telephone. So you are simply out of luck, they always have something to blame on for their lack of action.

Be sure to keep a copy of every email you send them, record the date and time of every call you place with them, and be sure to get a return receipt and/or tracking number for mail you send them and keep copies of all documents you send them.

Pete,
I got tired of messing with these people so I sent I sent the following email to Dive Assure:

"I have been with Dive Assure for several years and have never worried about the service you provide. I recently linked to your Equipment Insurance link and because it was linked on your site and you stated they were a "reputable business" I purchased an equipment policy with them. I also am a regular reader/ contributor to ScubaBoard and Scuba Diving. com websites and it appears that the diving community is completely losing faith in DEPP. There are several posts from several different parties complaining about the complete lack of professionalism at DEPP. Months and months and more months to even get a reply to a claim and then to get the lame excuse of we didn't receive it or I'm a one person office. I could buy that once but not from the number of people who are having the same issue. Emails concerning claims get bounced back, emails concerning purchases have no issues. They don't seem to respond to customers, so my hope was that you as a primary sponsor could look into what was going on and give them a good kick in the butt or drop them as a sponsored site as their bad practices do sully yours."

Three hours later I received this response:

" Dear James,

Thank you for your email, and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We are in the process of evaluating this situation, and we will contact DEPP to discuss this.

Thanks again for your email, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Roy Pargament, DiveAssure

roy@diveassure.com

DiveAssure Scuba Diving Insurance - The Best in Dive Accident and Dive Travel Insurance

Toll Free 866-898-0921 Ext 4

Fax 270-294-0720

Maybe it will help.

Also note that they recently (was it last year?) changed their coverage to limit the covered amounts during travel when it is out of your control, I believe, to $1000. I emailed them that this type of coverage is exactly what I needed the insurance for. Other than flooding, it's pretty protected when in my custody and I don't need insurance for that time. Their response was essentially the insurance underwriters were aggressively cutting coverage, and this is was the best they could do to keep from losing coverage entirely. I got two long e-mails discussing this. Apparently while they were ignoring your e-mails...

If you read this or other forums about the DEPP program (brokered by the company Innovative Programs Group, Inc), you will see a recurring pattern in the complaints.

Their excuse is over and over the same: that they did not get some information.

Either the emails you sent them went into their spam, the letters you sent to them were never received by them or any information some third party provided was never received by them. And they refuse to communicate via telephone. So you are simply out of luck, they always have something to blame on for their lack of action.

Be sure to keep a copy of every email you send them, record the date and time of every call you place with them, and be sure to get a return receipt and/or tracking number for mail you send them and keep copies of all documents you send them.

I can't agree with you more. This is so true. Excuses of all types lead the way but the "your email was lost in our Spam folder" is the most widely used. If this is such a problem.......WHY NOT FIX IT?

Thanks to all who have provided insight to DEPP. I have had DEPP for 6 years. One Claim 4 years ago- which was taken care of with satisfactory results. Last year, when I bought new photo equipment, (I had that urge to buy right before a trip), DEPP did not respond to my request to add new equipment (I thought 7- days was plenty enough time). Fortunately, no tragic episodes.
Rather than renewing with DEPP, from internet investigation, it looks like DAN has H20 Insurance for Equipment. Can someone provide some light on this option? Thanks!

To date I have had no problem with DEPP. However, I have had only one claim which they covered timely. My renewal was automatic this year, so I hope things won't change IF I need them again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom