So why are you not out diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but the weekend's weather and seas have blown bananas for at least 7 weeks in a row.... grrr....

bengiddins once bubbled...
Hang with girlfriend today, diving with buddy tomorrow :)
:upset: Make that - Hang with girlfriend Saturday, hang with girlfriend Sunday because dive buddy was out drinking until 5am Sunday morning and called at 9:30am to tell me why he hadn't picked me up at 8am...

Good diving Saturday
James Brown is old, but I almost understood one word. I think it was UGHH. Then he grabbed his leg like it was broken or something.
Dirty Dozen Brass Band from N'Awlins was great, as was several other performers.

No diving today. Spent all day recovering from the "excitement" of the festivities.

Cheers

Got in a quick dive Saturday evening in the local puddle. New buddy (main buddy is in Hawaii) shows up with no reg, no hood and no gloves. (We changed the dive plans so we could go borrow a reg.) By the time we get to the puddle the sun is starting to go down. The water is 55 degrees, the outside air is around 65 and he still has no gloves, hood or light and neded to borrow some weights. To his credit, he managed about 25 minutes with some brief surface intervals. He must have froze his face off (though he doesn't appear to be any uglier.) He stopped in the office today to mention that he would be purchasing a hood! All said and done. It was a pretty miserable dive. (The puddle is pretty ugly to start with.) But I suppose there was a lesson learned. :)

Got a dive in with Mudguppy who's visiting for a bit - plans were originally for the North Shore. Unfortunately, the swells came rolling in on Friday afternoon and it was pretty undiveable up there.

Decided to try the west shore, which proved to be diveable, but not by much. Waves were 2-4 feet, the sets coming in every 10-20 seconds. Mudguppy and I sat on a rock and watched a group of divers going in before deciding that we would try one dive and see how it went. We figured once we got past the break point, it would be ok.

Entry was ok, got past the waves pretty well. Problem was that the reef area was still within the breaking point of the waves - we kicked out further, dropped down and were at the outer edge of the reef. Didn't see much - one large turtle munching on coral and a few patches with fish. We were cruising over an expanse of sand, which told me the current had moved us further west. The conditions were just not that great - current, lots of surge, vis was kind of murky. We deciding to head back and surfaced a couple of times to get our bearings (and to see if we had made any headway against the current) - the other groups of divers that went out earlier had headed in already, deeming the conditions to be pretty sorry.

Navigated east of the entry/exit point (hoping to make up for the current) and when we surfaced the last time, found we were quite a bit east of the entry (a few degrees off sure makes a big difference) - but we just laid back, kicked and let the current, then the waves carry us in. Exit went well, considering that I had seen a couple of rogue 5 foot waves going in.

Not a great dive in terms of seeing things, but I liked it as far as giving me more experience with conditions that are less than optimal. However, we decided not to do a second dive. We walked up to the parking area and noticed that the other divers had packed up their stuff and left too.

Ok, so I'm reading this days later, I'll answer anyhow. I am not diving today or the next few days (Saturday through to Tuesday) because I am travelling on business. One of the most evil things to happen to the airline industry is the "mandatory Saturday stayover" which means my business travel seriously cuts into my weekends.
:(

Sometimes you have to do other chores; filling cylinders and mending holes in the dry suit, pool training or go for my coastal skipper training on Mon nights. Thurs night is our mid week night dive so I am off to get wet again.

We are going over to Catalina tomorrow for the weekend!!!!

It's Friday, I am at work.
Also know as poits day (Piss On It Tomorrow's Saturday)
Yomorrow I'm headed for Kinston Ontario, for two wreck dives.
Sunday, back in town for Scuba Classes.

Mike D
:blfish:

Back
Top Bottom