So you want to take your kid diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Really I am really amazed at how young agencies will certify a nowadays, and I read remarks from some parents similar to those illustrated in this quote from an A&I thread just opened. I hope you find it informative. Ken is the Forensic Consultant to the LA County Coroner for scuba fatalities..
A DISTURBING FATALITY THIS WEEKEND - They're all disturbing and there's much we still don't know about this latest one but what we do know is that a parent died while diving with their young-teen child. And it brings up a lot of issues (for me anyhow) about minimum certification age. Because it's not just about whether a child is physically able to handle the gear, or intellectually able to deal with concepts of physics when they haven't even had algebra yet. The big thing I discuss with parents who want to get a young child certified is diving safety. The knee-jerk reaction from the parents is almost always, "Don't worry because I'll be there all the time and will not let anything happen to my child." That's not it. If your child should die diving while under your care, the guilt you'll dredge up and will carry with you for the rest of your life is far more powerful than anything I could say. My concern is the opposite situation when it's the parent that dies on the dive and the child/buddy is unable to prevent it. Is the type of guilt that you want your child to possibly carry with them for the rest of their lives worth it? And I bring this up because my understanding is that in this particular case, the child was heard to say with some alarm, "I just killed my father." And while we can offer counseling and tell the child that it's not so, it's a pretty heavy burden to carry around (and a fairly natural instinct at an age when death is just some sort of an abstract concept). There is no right or wrong answer here. There is no easy answer. But all I'm suggesting is that if you're a parent with a young child who is either a diver or wants to become a diver, this is a discussion you MUST have with them, the same as you'd tell them not to ascend while holding their breath. It's an important issue that is often overlooked in this industry, especially as we lower the certification age, but it's something that needs to come out of the shadows.

- Ken

It all comes down to risk management and what a person considers acceptable. Your kid could kill you just as easy hunting.

It all comes down to risk management and what a person considers acceptable. Your kid could kill you just as easy hunting.
I think perhaps you missed the point. It's not about the risk of the kid hurting the parent, but one of the kid being less capable of helping the parent in an emergency - as well as lack of claimed oversight for the kid when the parent is injured.

I'd let my 17 yo grandson drive in spite of him totaling his first vehicle, but not count on him for help anywhere.

No I understand, but I'm not an internet orator and I can see where my point isn't that clear so I'll rephrase, a 12 year old could shoot you while hunting, freak out, and be useless in the rescue process, just as easily as they could freak out while diving and be useless there as well and you die because of their maturity level. It is all about risk management and what you’re comfortable with. Either way though you’re absolutely correct in the fact that if you die in front of your kid you might mess them up if they feel responsible

I get what the concern is, but I really don't see a difference between having a heart attack in the woods while hiking with your kid and having one while diving in 20' of water with your kid as your buddy. Bad stuff happens sometimes (very rarely)but, I really don't think being aware of risks is a reason to avoid a particularly enjoyable activity with my kids. Education and expierience for yourself and your kids along with regular diving to appropriate limits is the key to reducing risks.

It is not appropriate for a parent to take thier kid on a 10 mile hike through a wilderness area if they have only been for a couple walks around the lake at the city park a year ago. Diving has similar boundaries based on knowledge, skill and risk levels as other activities in which we may find ourselves depending on another for survival. Not sure if we want to stay home where it is safe. (although there is a bathtub in the house...but that's another issue)

Or perhaps agencies could start including more emergency and rescue training in the initial OW course?? I for one at least wish it was that way, and I can't wait til I do my rescue training... but I feel it should have been taught at the OW level.

Also, to compare diving to other activities is to an extent, and in my opinion, not quite justified. I myself participate in shooting sports, the extreme side of snowboarding, and some other things. If something were to go wrong in those activities, of course it can be life threatening and time is certainly of the essence, but I think the hazards and time factor while diving underwater is exponentinally more of a risk than anything I can personally think of on land.

As dark as this thread is, it raises a great point. My boys are 6 and 8 and I'd love to get them enrolled in a scuba rangers(or other child program) in the near future. However, when you weigh the risk, not only of the potential for death, but also for the unbearable guilt felt by the surviving party, I find myself pausing and thinking maybe I should wait another 10 years or so before even introducing them.

As dark as this thread is, it raises a great point. My boys are 6 and 8 and I'd love to get them enrolled in a scuba rangers(or other child program) in the near future. However, when you weigh the risk, not only of the potential for death, but also for the unbearable guilt felt by the surviving party, I find myself pausing and thinking maybe I should wait another 10 years or so before even introducing them.

Maybe we should refuse to let our kids ride in the car with us. I don't have the stats, but I bet that's much more dangerous than diving. Something to think about...

No, we try to manage scuba safely and portray it as such, but it is still a dangerous sport - more so than driving. Anyone who refuses to accept that is pushing it.

How about spend the extra money and hire a private DM for every dive with a minor?
Or perhaps agencies could start including more emergency and rescue training in the initial OW course?? I for one at least wish it was that way, and I can't wait til I do my rescue training... but I feel it should have been taught at the OW level.
You can do the CPR class now, get certified, and have it for your Rescue class. Great idea for anyone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom