Soft Sole vs Hard Sole Booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you got fins first and are committed to sticking with them, you may have no choice - the booties will have to fit in them. Better to buy booties first but you know that now. If you got the fins recently and haven't used them maybe they will let you exchange. If not no worries, you wouldn't be the first person to acquire a wardrobe of fins. :wink:

I used to prefer soft soles for the feel and comfort - even on rocks and other surfaces where many people prefer hard, I prefer to be able to feel and finesse my way. But if things are just too nasty to finesse hard may work better. I actually moved to hard sole for better support, which forced me to buy new fins .

My wetsuit booties for the last 3+ years have been some cheap Oceanic booties. I have dived for a week at a time a few times. I have never used socks with those boots. Only wetsuit and booties. Never even had a chafe mark.

I think it's just like with shoes or boots for normal land use. Fit is key.

Adding water actually makes the fit even more important - I wear relatively loose shoes & boots all the time on land but never have an issue whereas with wetsuit boots I had a fairly serious problem in a relatively short time. With hindsight, the marks that lead to my injuries were actually evident after one or two dives (there were red marks) but never broke the skin prior to liveaboard type diving.

And you probably normally wear socks with shoes and boots on land. But, you probably wear them for longer stretches and work your feet harder.

Regardless, I think we are in basic agreement. Fit is key. I also think it is possible to get a good fit to where your scuba boots/booties don't rub your feet raw.

Check out the Pinnacle Apex boot. Durability and protection of a soft sole booty, but is actually a hard sole. Best part is that you dont have to buy a larger fin like you'd typically have to do when going from a soft sole to a hard sole. It's a 6mm and very comfortable. Good protection on all the parts that typically wear down on booties.

Good day all,

Not sure why I wasn't getting notifications on responses to this thread, but when I opened it there were a ton, lol. So sorry if it seems as though I "disappeared".

Well, we just got the boots and she really likes them. They fit well into the Deep6 fins and she really likes the way the boots fit in general. They are a tad tight near where the fin wraps around the top of the foot (the band at the upper most part of the fin, hope that makes sense?). I believe it's because her feet are so small, they fit just a bit too far down into the fin. Maybe if I put something in there as a buffer between the end of the boot / bottom cavity of the fin? Maybe make something that's conformed to the top of the boot that stays in the fin? Any ideas?

Tonight is her first class in the pool, so we'll see how they feel by the end.

My boots are Scubapro Delta 5mm. They are about 1/2 way between hard and soft. They are light and pack easily for flying yet stiff and thick enough to be comfortable on quite rough lava rocks. I wear thin nylon / polyester socks inside them (so my wide feet slip in easily)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom