Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Andy,

If you are teaching that course it is sure to be a good one!!

It has it's moments! It certainly is an eye-opener for many to realise that in fact if you want to be competent, you have to put some effort in to learn new things and practice them...

It's "not a typical PADI course", and whilst PADI have trimmed back their syllabus over time - they're not opposed to people teaching this kind of stuff. I think the statement on solo diving in the OP is perhaps a little dated - but it's in line with common sense, and you'd struggle to have any real disagreement with.

This is good read:

solo2

The section on "Achieving Self-reliance" sums it up perfectly in my book.

While I generally agree with the conclusions of the article, I think PADI and all the other major agencies would be better served teaching their OW students how to be better dive buddies.

The biggest problem with the buddy system is a general lack of awareness that stems, in part, from the fact that almost all OW training focuses on the "what" rather than the "how" of the buddy system. How many OW instructors teach their students the "lead-follow" method of diving rather than teaching them side-by-side positioning ... where they can more easily see each other? How many teach their students that putting on a scuba mask eliminates their peripheral vision, and therefore they must make a conscious effort to turn their head from side to side to maintain an awareness of what's going on around them? How many teach their students to SLOW DOWN ... because it'll not only help you see more, it'll also help you keep better track of each other. How many OWSI's even think it matters?

Most new divers make poor buddies because their overall skills are so weak that they have no mental bandwidth to think about their dive buddy ... they're too overwhelmed just trying to maintain a position in the water to remember to do anything other than breathe. And with the preponderance of digital cameras in the hands of poorly trained newbies, the buddy system simply doesn't do what it's intended.

But rather than "just say no" to solo diving, the training agencies need to address the skills issues that would make the buddy system a more palatable option. Of course, that would make for longer and more expensive classes (and probably lessen the need for con-ed "specialties" ... so I don't see it happening). But the real issue here isn't solo diving at all ... it's better training.

Those who lack the skills to be a good dive buddy will also lack the skills to be a responsible solo diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGD -- I don't think that PADI's stance is "just say no to solo diving." Indeed, they specifically say that it is a form of technical diving (and thus outside of their teaching arena and mission. They specifically state that it is posible "to responsibly engage in solo scuba diving."

And that is a position that stands or falls on it's own merits without regard to the efficacy of their buddy training methods.

"The biggest problem with the buddy system is a general lack of awareness that stems, in part, from the fact that almost all OW training focuses on the "what" rather than the "how" of the buddy system. How many OW instructors teach their students the "lead-follow" method of diving rather than teaching them side-by-side positioning ... where they can more easily see each other? How many teach their students that putting on a scuba mask eliminates their peripheral vision, and therefore they must make a conscious effort to turn their head from side to side to maintain an awareness of what's going on around them? How many teach their students to SLOW DOWN ... because it'll not only help you see more, it'll also help you keep better track of each other. How many OWSI's even think it matters?"NWGratefulDiver

Bob, thank you so much for this! When I became an instructor I was determined to pass this on to my students regarding diving with buddies. It does take a bit of effort to do in the beginning but by pool session 3 they are naturally getting into proper position without being told. And maybe it is just coincidence but they seem to be more relaxed and learn faster when they are not worrying about where their buddy is. I also believe it helps them to see their buddy in good trim right next to them and in some way inspires them to strive for the same. My rule for students is a head turn will allow you to know where your buddy is. Not twisting your next around like an owl or looking up or down but a simple1/4 turn. If this does not do it then they are not in proper position. By insisting on this and constantly indicating and reminding them to stay in position it becomes ingrained and they naturally adjust their speed to aid in this.

My other rule is that the slowest sets the pace for the pair/team and not just on swims but ascents and descents. My bosses wife can equalize easily, he needs a few more seconds- she swims slower he tends to get excited and want to dash around. By OW dive two we had established that unless there are drastic changes with either of them. he sets the pace for ascents and descents and she sets the swim pace. But always they should never be rushing around for any reason.

I saw it on my first ocean dive. It was dive number 87 on the Spiegel Grove. We tied off to buoy on the crane tower. My plan was to descend into the well deck for a looksee then a nice easy multilevel back to the line and up. I saw people rushing to get to the bow and the stern and not really seeing anything. All that week on the reefs it was the same, the Dm would give a site layout, maybe mention that nurse sharks were seen here, big groupers there, etc. I would decide what area I was going to swim in and stick to it. Others flew around trying to see it all. THere were divers coming back on the boat with 400,500, as low as 300psi and two on one trip that went OOA at a 35 foot site! I never came back with less than 1500 and was usually the last one on the boat which made my wife nervous as she thought they'd leave me. Hey an hour means an hour and I was not the last one off.

Instructors need to make students slow down. Many new divers rush around because this is what they saw the instructors doing. Hurry up with skills, get the tour done, get out of the water. I have a good idea of my students gas needs before we hit OW and plan accordingly. THis is why they are getting 35-40 minute checkout dives. As opposed to the norm around here which is 20-25. But during these dives they are side by side within arms reach and because of the time spent in the pool they are not running into each other, kicking each others fins, and tearing up the bottom. Single file tours are not just bad form, they are stupid and dangerous. Teach the buddy system properly or you are gonna need to teach em solo skills since that is what is being demo'd to them diving single file.

NWGD -- I don't think that PADI's stance is "just say no to solo diving." Indeed, they specifically say that it is a form of technical diving (and thus outside of their teaching arena and mission. They specifically state that it is posible "to responsibly engage in solo scuba diving."

And that is a position that stands or falls on it's own merits without regard to the efficacy of their buddy training methods.

But it isn't! To be a good solo diver you must have developed the very same set of skills that you need to be a good buddy!

Awareness, dive planning, buoyancy control, and the ability to recognize and avoid potential problems are all key skills that any diver must develop ... whether for solo or buddy diving. These are all skills that some instructors are very good at teaching ... but that the agencies do little more than pay lip service to.

As you say, PADI's stance is that solo diving is "outside their mission". I disagree ... if they spent more effort teaching their students the HOW, as opposed to the WHAT of these skills, they would be preparing them for the higher levels of diving that they purport ain't their job.

Solo diving isn't rocket surgery ... it's just a higher-level application of the same skills you use for diving with a buddy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm sorry, but I disagree with the above post ... (I think that) SOLO diving requires a whole order of magnitude higher of mental discipline ... it may be starting with the same basic skill sets as a good buddy but its not the same
I do agree with this though
Those who lack the skills to be a good dive buddy will also lack the skills to be a responsible solo diver.
(again, this is coming from a non-solo diver, with few total dives)

While I generally agree with the conclusions of the article, I think PADI and all the other major agencies would be better served teaching their OW students how to be better dive buddies.

The biggest problem with the buddy system is a general lack of awareness that stems, in part, from the fact that almost all OW training focuses on the "what" rather than the "how" of the buddy system. How many OW instructors teach their students the "lead-follow" method of diving rather than teaching them side-by-side positioning ... where they can more easily see each other? How many teach their students that putting on a scuba mask eliminates their peripheral vision, and therefore they must make a conscious effort to turn their head from side to side to maintain an awareness of what's going on around them? How many teach their students to SLOW DOWN ... because it'll not only help you see more, it'll also help you keep better track of each other. How many OWSI's even think it matters?

Most new divers make poor buddies because their overall skills are so weak that they have no mental bandwidth to think about their dive buddy ... they're too overwhelmed just trying to maintain a position in the water to remember to do anything other than breathe. And with the preponderance of digital cameras in the hands of poorly trained newbies, the buddy system simply doesn't do what it's intended.

But rather than "just say no" to solo diving, the training agencies need to address the skills issues that would make the buddy system a more palatable option. Of course, that would make for longer and more expensive classes (and probably lessen the need for con-ed "specialties" ... so I don't see it happening). But the real issue here isn't solo diving at all ... it's better training.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that PADI could probably improve their classes with more material, but the OW class they offer is EXTREMELY EFFICIENT in getting the skills and information to the student in a very, very short time. However, even with a moderate expansion in the OW cirriculum, they would still pump out marginally qualified divers.

I would rather see them expand their class to teach a pony bottle or personal redundancy. Teaching total strangers how to coordinate their dive is not something that can be accomplished with a class that is so short. These types of skills require time in open water and experience and if the other person is not sufficiently motivated to "follow the rules" the buddy diving skills are essentially worthless, at least from a safety standpoint.

I am quite convinced that rigging and using a pony bottle is simpler to teach (and safer) then betting your safety on another inexperienced, marginally qualified diver, who is, as you describe, often distracted.

But it isn't! To be a good solo diver you must have developed the very same set of skills that you need to be a good buddy!

Awareness, dive planning, buoyancy control, and the ability to recognize and avoid potential problems are all key skills that any diver must develop ... whether for solo or buddy diving. These are all skills that some instructors are very good at teaching ... but that the agencies do little more than pay lip service to.

As you say, PADI's stance is that solo diving is "outside their mission". I disagree ... if they spent more effort teaching their students the HOW, as opposed to the WHAT of these skills, they would be preparing them for the higher levels of diving that they purport ain't their job.

Solo diving isn't rocket surgery ... it's just a higher-level application of the same skills you use for diving with a buddy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob: As usual, you do a great job summing up the core issue!

I may be in the minority here, but I do not agree that solo is a form of "techinical" diving... unless you are actually doing "tech" dives solo.

Like Bob stated in his post, solo is just an application of normal "best diving practices", the same skills (and the same or similar equipment) that you'd use in a buddy dive in the same environment. And the same level of awareness and planning that you'd need to safely plan and lead a dive in that environment.

The problem is that many newer divers seem to come out of basic OW or AOW unable to really plan and lead a dive in the environment they certified in... these divers still need dive pro's to lead their next several dives (or more!) to be 100% safe, and are absolutely not ready to solo dive.

Buddy skills is a great place to start if there was one single piece of current (or past) curriculum to improve. And funny as it sounds, I do believe that being a good, competent buddy is most of the battle to becoming a safe solo diver.

Best wishes.

well I believe that padi courses need a good over hauling. come on you can pass the open water course with out knowing one damn thing. you can miss every single problem on the test and can get signed off as long as the instructor goes over the infro with you. I call it crap. after I got certified I started Solo diving. easy beach dives at first and progressed to harder and harder dives. Its not so much as is solo diving bad, but is it within the divers comfort zone. It was with me. a very wise instructor once told me, you can solo dive if you don't have to ask permission. I say this as as long as you are comfortable in the water and have great basic skills and adavnced skills then you might be ready. another wise instructor told me that buddy breathing in panic situations leads to two deaths not one. This has stuck with me. Well to sum it up, I love to solo dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom