Solo Diving: PADI Worldwide's Position

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI? PADI?? We don't need no stinkin' PADI!

blazingsaddles2.jpg

P.S. Where the white women at?

It is important to clarify what responsible solo scuba diving is. PADI views it as a form of technical diving and not for everybody. To responsibly engage in solo scuba diving, a diver must first be highly experienced, have a hundred or so buddy accompanied scuba dives, be absolutely self-reliant and apply the specialized procedures and equipment needed to engage in the activity. This includes, but is not limited to redundant air sources, specialized equipment configurations, specific dive planning, and management of solo diving problems and emergencies. When solo diving is performed within this description, we see a place for it. Responsible solo diving is not diving alone without the mental discipline, attitude or equipment.

From looking at it from a non solo divers viewpoint ... that looks reasonable to me

I also believe a good buddy is a thinking tool kit that is not responsible for keeping me safe, but he is a resource that can be an asset when needed

You can't compare the two. They are completely different disciplines with different gear, skills, protocols and mind sets.

The OP is definately a Troll.

So, OP, what's your point in posting this? I'm a PADI divemaster too and also a certified solo diver. Would love to hear your viewpoint. Or is this really just a troll and run? :mooner:

My problem with this and so many similar articles is they use statistics like this: "Since 1989, there were at least 538 fatalities where it was clear divers were either intentionally diving solo, or became separated from a buddy and were de facto alone."

When you get into the statistics, there more incidents where buddy seperation is a key issue rather than solo diving.

But like all statistics, they need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I've got the DAN reports going beack many years, and a lot of analysis articles from the various uw medical journals.

They all focus on the percentage of incidents, without any relationship to the population size. There are more incidents involving buddy seperation than there are solo divers, but then there are also more people attempting to dive with buddies than there are people attempting to dive solo, whether well prepared or not. It just makes it damnably difficult to determine any significance whatsoever. Though it's my personal belief that the buddy seperation is more significant than a well prepared/train/experienced solo diver.... and a poorly prepared solo diver, well... it's their decision.

You can't compare the two. They are completely different disciplines with different gear, skills, protocols and mind sets.

While some of this may be true for some divers, many others solo dive in the same set up they buddy dive. Granted I mostly either guide/instruct or solo dive, but I do on occasion buddy dive.

How exactly do the skills & protocols differ? Plan the dive, dive the plan, keep an eye on air and Nitrogen load; pretty much the same thing as any dive. I realize I am a fringe solo diver but for me the main difference on a solo dive is if I screw up it will be a while before they think to look for the body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom