Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do wonder whether we would be having this debate if the name of the course was "Self-Sufficient Diver". That is really what the course teaches and encourages.

Yes, you would.... jsut from a different perspective.

I taught a class called "Self-Reliant Diver" as a PADI Distinctive Specialty.... and most of the time I got called on it on the basis of "aren't you promoting solo diving?" or "don't you beleive in the buddy system?".

I now teach the SDI Solo Diver class. Well, kind of. I teach an extended version of the SDI Solo Diver class. It doesn't matter what the class is called, it's the content and delivery that is the important issue. But even then, people will interpret it in a way that suits them.

I much prefer the SDI class - it does what it says on the label. It teaches people better buddy skills by teaching them to solo dive. I can tailor it to suit any student's aspirations.

I think the minimum standards of the SDI course are a bit light, mind you. Which is why I extend the course significantly. Rather than 2 dives, my students will do at least 6 dives before being given the green light to 'go solo'.

This is one of those put another dollar in courses. Like I posted earlier there are better course options which should get you prepared and talk about reduant systems. As you gain experience you will become more comfortable and dive alone. Lets be real are you going to be a solo diver after 2 dives?

This is one of those put another dollar in courses.
I find these types of references vague, misleading and crass: a cheap shot that is usually used by those wanting to feel superior.
Lets be real are you going to be a solo diver after 2 dives?
Maybe for you, but let's be real. Most divers with AT LEAST a hundred dives would gain a lot from the course. I have yet to hear from a student who has TAKEN the class that did not feel it was worth their while. That's as real as it gets for me. So really, as was asked of me earlier, have you taken it or even read the manual?

I just sat through an intro to Solo Diving yesterday at the Dallas Dive show that was put on by SDI/TDI. As they indicated they do not "encourage" solo diving. They state the course is to make you become a better partner, because in some sense we all solo dive. By this, the example presented is your buddy does not stay within arms length with you the entire time you are diving. There are instances, though might be small, that your dive buddy is out of sight or reach so in this case you are "solo diving".

There are two dives with the course, one dive is with the instructor and the other is a solo dive but you must drag a bouy with you the entire time so they know where you are at. There is also additional equipment you must have along with 100 logged dives.

The instructor did also mention that he will interview each candidate and he will ask the reason they want to the course. If they answer that they want to dive by themselves, he will not teach them the course.

That sounds seriously odd. If the point of the course is to make you a self-sufficient dive buddy, then they shouldn't call it a solo course. Solo and self-sufficiency are not necessarily the same thing.

Why not call it a Buddy Diver specialty and teach people how to be better dive buddies ... playing around with semantics to mask the deficiencies of teaching a buddy system just seems like a great way to send people the wrong message ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I find these types of references vague, misleading and crass: a cheap shot that is usually used by those wanting to feel superior. Maybe for you, but let's be real. Most divers with AT LEAST a hundred dives would gain a lot from the course. I have yet to hear from a student who has TAKEN the class that did not feel it was worth their while. That's as real as it gets for me. So really, as was asked of me earlier, have you taken it or even read the manual?

I will state I have not taken the course and would not. When I started out and took my advanced open water course, running reels, shooting lift bags and using two separate air sources (not a spare air) was all required. As well as dive planning and having two of everything like lift bags, reels, cutting devices and gas. So I got the tools to dive solo and as I gained experience in my diving began to dive solo.

Ok the put a dollar in comment may be cheap or whatever but for the kinds of divers I believe look in to this type of course are newer, less experienced divers and 2 dives is most likely not enough. Your more experienced divers in my opinion are probably not looking at this class (I could be wrong).

I have not taken the course (don't ever plan on it) or read the manual (would take a look at it if around), but as stated in another post the requirements are not to difficult and that’s my impression with it being a one day course. Course structure though is all dependant on the instructor though.

I’m not trying to get in to a pissing match with you but you seem like that’s what you like to do. I was just stating by taking other more beneficial courses (never been asked for a solo cert card anywhere I have dove) you will learn and become comfortable to dive solo.

I will state I have not taken the course and would not. When I started out and took my advanced open water course, running reels, shooting lift bags and using two separate air sources (not a spare air) was all required.

Well, except for the redundant air sources, I teach all that in my AOW class. But I prefer training my students how to be good dive buddies, so they won't need redundant air.

Now, if you're not gonna have a dive buddy ... or if you're gonna be diving an overhead of some sort ... then I say it's necessary to carry some redundancy. For recreational divers ... if we're gonna promote the buddy system, let's teach people how to do it properly. Then they won't need to take a separate class to learn how to take care of themselves because their buddy wandered off ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I will state I have not taken the course and would not. When I started out and took my advanced open water course, running reels, shooting lift bags and using two separate air sources (not a spare air) was all required. As well as dive planning and having two of everything like lift bags, reels, cutting devices and gas. So I got the tools to dive solo and as I gained experience in my diving began to dive solo.

Ok the put a dollar in comment may be cheap or whatever but for the kinds of divers I believe look in to this type of course are newer, less experienced divers and 2 dives is most likely not enough. Your more experienced divers in my opinion are probably not looking at this class (I could be wrong).

I have not taken the course (don't ever plan on it) or read the manual (would take a look at it if around), but as stated in another post the requirements are not to difficult and that’s my impression with it being a one day course. Course structure though is all dependant on the instructor though.

I’m not trying to get in to a pissing match with you but you seem like that’s what you like to do. I was just stating by taking other more beneficial courses (never been asked for a solo cert card anywhere I have dove) you will learn and become comfortable to dive solo.

It's a shame that you diss a course you haven't taken, haven't read the book on, haven't anything to go on expect your own "It it ain't true, it oughta be" opinion. So you advise against it "just 'cause you say so?"

I have taken the course. I found the book well-written and thought provoking. It recommended equipment and required some of it for the certification dive. Due to the course, I am a better prepared diver and find it easy to carry redundant equipment with me. The whole thrust of the course is 'consider your dive, whether you are trained, mentally and physically capable, and have the proper equipment for self-rescue.'

I do not believe the course encourages solo diving, but instead develops the thought process in those that either are going to, or have already gone solo. My training in this class makes me a better buddy, because I am better prepared.

The problem with not taking such a class is that you must learn from you mistakes . . . if you survive them.

Well, except for the redundant air sources, I teach all that in my AOW class. But I prefer training my students how to be good dive buddies, so they won't need redundant air.

Now, if you're not gonna have a dive buddy ... or if you're gonna be diving an overhead of some sort ... then I say it's necessary to carry some redundancy. For recreational divers ... if we're gonna promote the buddy system, let's teach people how to do it properly. Then they won't need to take a separate class to learn how to take care of themselves because their buddy wandered off ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
Thats awesome because most do not. The reason for the redundant air is not so much for buddy seperation but for equipment malfunction. If you have a free flow you can breath off that till its empty & then go to the backup. I agree with promoting the buddy system but you should also be comfortable and able to survive if you are solo or lose your buddy. All my dives even with a buddy are planned as solo dives.

It's a shame that you diss a course you haven't taken, haven't read the book on, haven't anything to go on expect your own "It it ain't true, it oughta be" opinion. So you advise against it "just 'cause you say so?"

I have taken the course. I found the book well-written and thought provoking. It recommended equipment and required some of it for the certification dive. Due to the course, I am a better prepared diver and find it easy to carry redundant equipment with me. The whole thrust of the course is 'consider your dive, whether you are trained, mentally and physically capable, and have the proper equipment for self-rescue.'

I do not believe the course encourages solo diving, but instead develops the thought process in those that either are going to, or have already gone solo. My training in this class makes me a better buddy, because I am better prepared.

The problem with not taking such a class is that you must learn from you mistakes . . . if you survive them.

I am glad you enjoyed the course, but what I have been saying is by taking other training courses like AOW, Wreck Diving or intro to tech, should give you the skills to dive solo plus offer you other useful skills then just diving alone.

I have been on boats that required this cert to dive solo. There's ample reason to take the course as well as good material covered in it.
I’m not trying to get in to a pissing match with you but you seem like that’s what you like to do.
Pissing match? No. Pointing out a cheap shot by someone who seems to be drawing conclusions from his assumptions helps put such comments in perspective. If you don't wish your comments to be challenged or discussed, you should give us a proper caveat stating as such.
I was just stating by taking other more beneficial courses (never been asked for a solo cert card anywhere I have dove) you will learn and become comfortable to dive solo.
By your own admission, this is an uninformed conclusion based only on your assumptions about the course. Do you think such a comment should be left alone?

Opinions are great. Like human orifices, everyone should have a few! Some opinions are based on facts and experiences. Quite often though, opinions are based on nothing but assumptions and prejudices. They are still your opinions, no one can change that. But their basis should be examined and discussed. Rather than brush it off as the beginnings of a pissing match, you can use the insights of others to help modify your opinions and how they are based. This is healthy and good.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom