Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do wonder whether we would be having this debate if the name of the course was "Self-Sufficient Diver". That is really what the course teaches and encourages.
I call that class OW1. :shocked2:

The instructor did also mention that he will interview each candidate and he will ask the reason they want to the course. If they answer that they want to dive by themselves, he will not teach them the course.

Find another instructor, because this one doesn't get it.

Perhaps in a perfect scuba world, but not in this one.
It sounds like you should take my course. Competency in Scuba is the goal.
As for your other long post. ... Agreement is Optional ... Understanding is Mandatory
I would say that "Understanding is spotty at best".
I am curious ... have you taken a solo diver course or read the SDI manual?
No and Yes. I do meet all the qualifications for teaching the SDI course and have been encouraged to apply to become an instructor for it.

I love diving solo. I always have. Even before they had a cert for it.

One review suggested that to pass the course the individual had to complete a certain number of "solo dives". Now that, is just plain silly. How can an instructor make a determination of a diver's skills if they do not even see them diving.

If I can recall, your instructor will be at the lake/watering hole/quarry while you're doing your solo dives, but they're not underwater with you. You plan your dive profile and air consumption, and let your instructor know when you'll be back. This is one of your test dives.

i love diving solo. I always have. Even before they had a cert for it.

:) :) :)

I disagree that offering a course encourages a certain type of behaviour or activity. There are all kinds of courses that teach all kinds of things. Just because they teach a skill does not mean that they encourage a certain behaviour.

I agree that the skills taught in the course are useful for all divers.

I did not say, or make the assumption, that Solo Diver courses (or any courses) are to be taught and never executed.

No, you just said that they teach a set of skills that are useful.

What is the point of learning skills if not to EXECUTE THEM?

I agree that the skills of solo diving are beneficial to buddy diving (FOR YOURSELF). But ALL advanced skills are of some benefit to all types of diving. Learning without doing is wasting your time and your money.

ANDI also has a solo cert.

PS an instructor that won't teach the solo course if you want to dive solo is kind of missing the point. Solo diving is about self sufficiency not relying on someone else to decide when, where and how you are going to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom