Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think every new diver thinks about going solo because of the hassle with finding buddies. But its like going solo in anything - driving a car solo, semi-truck solo, airplane solo, skydive solo, walking down a bad neighborhood solo, bar-hopping solo, etc. You just don't do any of it without really knowing your $hit. Having now crested the 50 dive mark, I'd say get lots of experience with every kind of diving you can pay for before you even think of going solo - cold, deep, poor viz, night, boat, warm water, resort, dry suit, nitrox, one buddy, two buddies three buddies, overhead, wreck - it goes on. You need all those experiences to be the comfortable water baby everyone is talking about. I'm no where near it but I can now see that the more I learn, the less I know, and the more I need to learn. I'm not even sure 100 dives is a good mark for that...

In anycase, this is supposed to be a fun hobby, not a cert collecting/trophy hobby. Enjoy the journey, not the destination.

It is funny that you mention the real "Oh Sh**!" moment before pursuing solo diving. I had one of those wrapped in Kelp in heavy surge during a night dive. I was not diving alone but the conditions made communicating with my buddy difficult (while I was stuck my buddy lost me). I worked through the problem slowly on my own and have to admit that this tested my nerves and air consumption. Eventually I managed to untangle myself and surface to catch my breath. That night I realized what can go wrong and how important is to stay composed and be able to deal with underwater problems without a buddy present. That incident alone gave me the confidence that I could potentially be self-reliant but also the urge to pursue solo diving training.

Currently I am reviewing the SDI Solo Diving Manual, using a 30cf pony tank for backup air, and joined this group ;-). I have logged a few solo dives but only in places were I had dived before, the conditions are pristine, and I can do a CESA if necessary. My plan is to log several dives with my "self-reliance" gear in more complex dives before saying that I am ready 100% to dive alone anywhere.

I am not sure if my approach is correct, but somehow the real "Oh Sh**!" moment comment, hit home.

. . I'm comfortable in the water. So I'm gonna dive alone. I'm goin to start in shallow waters 20 to 30 ft of water until I can afford a bailout tank and reg. I live in nw pa so ill be diving in quarry's were there isn't current or rough water. I live close to erie so wants I get a lot of shallow dives in ill prob work my way to dive wrecks in erie eventually. . .

1st, we have a Rebel Marine in Norfolk, VA. Any ties?

2nd, I don't see why you don't do it. If you are comfortable and stay shallow, do it. It will give you time in the water, time to get to know your gear better, and time to start handling small issues as they arise. That's pretty much what we all did when we started solo-ing.

You can pick up a pony bottle (alum 30 or 40 with reg) pretty cheap. You can also rent the tank and reg from a shop, or borrow one from a fellow diver. A backup is pretty important. It won't be long before you will get tired of that 20-30 foot depth, and it doesn't make sense going deeper without a backup.

Once you start to think about deeper and more involved dives, then knowing how to get out of trouble will become critical. Classes are great if you're not the type that "gets-it" on your own, and of course you will need them if you start moving in the tech direction.

Be sure to tell people where you are diving and when you will be back. I have a form I fill out and put on my dashboard every time I dive solo.

Start assembling your gear. You will need a backup for everything. You've already heard about a backup mask. I put mine in a neoprene sock and stuff it in a pocket. Lift/signal bag (with your name written very BIG on it), reel, etc. Don't be cheap with your diving; it is your life you're talking about.

Good luck and be safe.

Almost all the previous posts are spot on. One area only lightly touched on is motivation. Are you considering solo because you can't find a buddy OR are you the type that likes to be fully self-sufficient and relishes the thought of diving solo even if you could get a buddy.

If you are the former, be really careful; if the latter, get some experience (take classes if you need to) and then go for it WHEN you have all the necessary equipment. And lastly, just because you solo dive sometimes doesn't mean it is appropriate to solo dive other times. You should never solo a site, condition, task you haven't done the same or similiar before. As the SDI manual puts it: no pinnacle (near your limits) solo dives.

Ok, I'm going to call the elephant in the room. Dude, step back from the bar - you are going to kill yourself cause you're impatient and or frustrated and are not listening to good advice. You are, IMHO, exhibiting classic behavior that gets divers killed, namely, "it won't happen to me".

Step back from the bar - get more training, experience and appreciation for what you are wanting to do. Relax on the rush.

You cant dive if youre dead.

Step back from the bar - get more training, experience and appreciation for what you are wanting to do. Relax on the rush.

1+

You are way too inexperienced to be safely soloing. There are things out there that can kill you that you haven't even heard about or thought about yet.

While soloing, you can have redundancy and two of everything except for two brains. And right now your "scuba brain" is still in its infancy.

Give yourself more time to get some experience and think about how you are going to handle soloing.

The one good thing about NOT having the internet was that I got to make 30 or 40 dives before I ever ran across a dive buddy, and a lot more before I saw a qualified instructor. I'm wondering if this should be the Don't Solo Forum.

Personally I more interested in the OP's water skills, free diving history, responsibility and expertise at risk assessment than his number of SCUBA dives. I'd have to meet you to give an informed opinion, just remember that you can't breathe water and if you make a real bad decision you will die alone. If you can free dive in that 20-30' of water, then tank diving should not be a major problem.

Take up Jim's offer and may be find a buddy there and/or get some first hand advice on your actual plans.

The only real reason to solo is that you like diving alone. Don't use any excuse to justify solo diving or you may find yourself in way over your head.

Bob
-----------------------------------
The most important thing to plan when solo diving is to make sure that you are not diving with an idiot. Dsix36

I'm wondering if this should be the Don't Solo Forum.

I've seen zero replies advocating against solo diving. Many have suggested that a modicum of experience and competency should be considered a prerequisite however...

Solo diving demands a modicum of developmental experience and base skill competency,... in the assumption that those considering partaking in the activity wish to preserve a reasonable degree of safety.

Personally I more interested in the OP's water skills, free diving history, responsibility and expertise at risk assessment than his number of SCUBA dives.

I agree. Whilst the number of dives conducted doesn't accurately reflect competency, a higher dive count does correspond with an increased opportunity to self-assess your capabilities, reactions and competencies unique to scuba diving. Without a base level of experience, such self-assessment is prone to serious miscalculation. Consider it a 'sample size'.

This probably isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think anybody should be diving solo until they've had a real "Oh Sh**!" moment.

It really puts the level of risk in a whole new light.

flots.

Would swimming along on a broken up Civil War wreck in 3 ft. viz concentrating on your compass and feeling a tug on your pony bottle, and realizing you are in what seems like an endless tangle of fishing line qualify? I will tell you that as far as that level of risk thing goes, it sure did it for me! In fact, given the bad viz, my sinus squeeze and everything else, I will admit to ending up back on the boat with 1400 psi. I ended the dive early to get back on the boat and "think about that thing for a moment" in my best Andy Taylor voice. I was still cutting line off myself during the safety stop.

I wasn't sure about going back for the second dive, but the pull to go back won out over the pull of the fishing line. Looking back on it, I see where my training a preparation won out. When the training kicks in, there really is no room for panic, nowhere near it. But still, there is that new appreciation.....

Don't give up looking for someone to dive with. I've had some success with divebuddy.com. It takes some work but you could probably develop a good network eventually.

Back
Top Bottom