Solo gear configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But what is the interest of yoke regulators? I can understand if you're a fan of Tchaikovsky, they are easier to hang for storage, but under water they have some risks.

It's what I've used all my life without any issues, problems, drawbacks or undue risks. I've got less years of diving left then I've done so why spent the money on regs and valves just to go to din? What benefit is it too me? I store mine regs in padded bags.

Some people have used all their life a tank with mechanical reserve and never used a SPG.
It's what I've used all my life without any issues, problems, drawbacks or undue risks. I've got less years of diving left then I've done so why spent the money on regs and valves just to go to din?
I hope there won't be any first issue but it can happen. Converting a yoke reg to DIN is not very expensive. Would you accept to travel in a plane on which a major and deadly weakness would be found and not solved just to save few bucks ? You (US people) and your courts are the world champions to massive compensations even if the claimant has acted in defiance of the most basic common sense*. And yet you refuse to adopt a connection without weakness. I do not want to imagine what would happen to a manufacturer of valves if someone intents an action on the grounds that the regulator was sold in a configuration significantly increasing the risk of catastrophic leak. * amounts that are pronounced are considered crazy across Europe.
What benefit is it too me?
Eliminate a hazard. By the way +1 for rx7diver

Bonjour Jago,

i use din fittings too, but i have to have yoke converters if i takn my own kit to American dominated locations. It's probably easier for most people to dive with what is common to themselves.

i learned on Yokes, but changed when i got new regs a few years ago.

That's funny ... the only time I use my yoke adapter is when I travel outside of the USA ... or in the pool, when teaching. Nine of my eleven regulators are DIN, as are all of my tanks (I live in the USA) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I for one, have gone to the din.......But I own my tanks and a air compressor......or I would be fairly stuck with tanks that I would have to put more junk in the mix to make them work.

Din is without a dout better, far and away better. Just becuse something is all the "thing" on the US Market trully means nothing, other then in the USA it means that "this is what everyone is doing" and that in it's self means more nothing.

I set up my rig to be the safest diving gear I can get and some times I have to buy from the divers on the other side of the world to get the gear I feel I need.

In the Time I have been a diver I have seen more "fads" then real gear come out year after year in order to get the money of new divers that know no better.

As for gear configuration-what about the spare mask?

I don't carry one. I don't see the point. I know some people do and I was wondering about your justifications for it.

I've got an old Custom Divers 60lb wing, with a nice backplate that accepts indie doubles on cambands. I use it for travelling and spontaneous solo, wreck penetration and lite-tech dives. Two AL80's just slide right in...and off I go! :D

Sidemount. Just sayin'. :D

Sidemount. Just sayin'. :D

Yeah, I'd have gone onto sidemount some time ago, if I didn't have that doubles config.

I'm still waiting to see if/when the sidemount rigs come down to a more reasonable/realistic price.

As for gear configuration-what about the spare mask?

I don't carry one. I don't see the point. I know some people do and I was wondering about your justifications for it.

If I were concerned over losing my mask I would wear the strap under my hood -- a long time practice of wreck divers. The only time I would carry a spare mask is if I were wearing a full face mask so I could switch to conventional regulators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom