Solo Gear & DIR Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Tom, I guess I don't really disagree with you so much as the title of this thread, DIR by definition is a methodolgy based on the team concept, you guys nor me are diving within the confines of a "team" when we solo whether it is as a loose gaggle of divers or purely alone. Therefore the DIR concept is not optimal for solo. ...
N

Indeed and agreed. On a separate note, Kayak diving sounds like a lot of fun, I'll have to look into that.

Because I´m a "bit" disorganized I try hard to change as little as possible for different kinds of dives. During the summer I usually do both singles and doubles during a week. Everytime I need to unscrew a hose, change BP or something else there´s a risk that I forget something I need so I try not to.

For me that means that I take LH, canlight, 2 backups, cuttingtools & masks (for instance) on every dive. For the whole range of dives I do (solo, cave, wreck, singletank bimbles) I only change exposure protection, tanks, reels, regsetups and the lead I carry.

That means that I carry more backups for bimbles than I need but that I always have a reasonable level of redundancy when I need it. I have found my equilibrium in the trade-off between standardization and optimization for the dive (for now).

ymmv

"Soooo true even for us simple reef divers! This insight should be up front in bold print in every solo manual."

Well, sounds good but wouldn't it depend upon exactly what sort of gear configuration a diver has in those "other" or "different kinds of dives".

I mean, if in those other dives your with a buddy and configured for a buddy with typical short hose octa and single tank and a poodle jacket and so then your going to take up solo diving but in order to not be confusing you change nothing? Why not optimize for each mission? If your with a buddy set up for that and if your actually SOLO then set up for that. The typical "poodle" rig I see in use by 98% of the diving world is not suitable for SOLO of any sort and that alone is a huge range of endeavor. N

It seems to me that this discussion is about two topics: solo diving and self-sufficiency. The original question might have been better stated as "How relevant is the (DIR) gear configuration to (self-sufficient) divers?"

I think the posts such as those about long hoses and secondary regulators get at the restated question. The posts about what is and is not solo diving are about semantics, IMO.

catherine96821:
I disagree.

Solo is an outlook as well as a way to dive alone...can't believe how many people don't seem to agree with me on this.

The bungee reg, for example is an absolute for me to dive solo. You fall in knee deep water, alone? Necklace is priceless. etc, etc.

I may not be DIR to DIR divers, but I can outline the ways their philosophy and methods have changed the way I dive for the better. For example, I still use a computer, but I constantly work on trying to estimate my deco status mentally. I favor the DIR gear config and think they have much to offer.

The long hose is very valuable for air shares for me and other "solo" divers photogs, etc. We may dive alone a portion of the drift to get pictures and resume buddy style for the stops and boat pick-up.

There is nothing that says you can't fuse styles and practices...of course conformity and uniformity is a fundamental tenet of DIR, so expect to be challenged. Lots of Catholics use BC too.....

Not a black and white world, for me. You see what works and then apply the MOST important concept which is why, and for what purpose?

This allows you to stay streamlined and reduce your gear to the minimalist, "function follows structure" philosophy and avoid silly purchases.

Very few "solo divers" actually are out there diving alone in my world. Kayak divers are an exception. Most solo divers have an outlook of being ultimately responsible for their own choices and assumption of risk...and their assets are hopefully off the table. Doesn't mean you cannot dive around others and benefit from being able to assist or increase your options with a long hose.

hi cathy ,i am really surprised you keep the 90 feet on your solo's ,it sounds to me you could go deeper than this, i think you can do any depht solo 0 - 400 than you have better some support divers , just a matter of planning , or is your problem more to get bord on the hang. :)

JeffG:
But the long hose has no real use in solo diving. But I wouldn't put fins on the person preference list like the OP did. Fin kicks are fin kicks regardless if a buddy is there.

hi jeff if you start to taking your gear of and push it ahead of you, than the long hose can be very usefull , depends how flexible you want to be , i personly would not like to dive without my dir setup . :wink:

If your taking your gear off, you'd be better served by a sidemount configuration than a DIR backmount rig (which isn't fully redundant either)

JimC:
If your taking your gear off, you'd be better served by a sidemount configuration than a DIR backmount rig (which isn't fully redundant either)

i talked about the long hose , and sorry i do not know what you mean if you say ( it is not fully redunant either) :huh:

JimC:
Are you referring to the possibility of having the isolator valve fail and not being able to protect either gas source?

Back
Top Bottom