Solo vs. Buddy perspective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Rick wholeheartedly, But the fact remains that subhuman people walk the planet and dive. It is my goal in life to stay as far from them as posible.

I'll set aside the issue of diving with someone who announces he won't save my life by sharing air, even when possible. That's a character defect, plain and simple. I only associate or buddy with people who can be trusted to care about their buddy.

The distinction between solo and self suffeciant is quite clear. By Nemrods definition I never solo dive, however I dive alot and travel, and spearfish. I dive same day same ocean, never a buddy or instant buddy. The two are simmilar in philosophy but different when it comes to dive planning. I plan to get myself back safely with no reserve for non existant buddy.

There's certainly a distinction between solo and self-sufficient, but what's the point of using the term "true" solo dive as it was previously described?

IMHO, it's a counterproductive term because one of the distinctions given for a "true" solo dive was that there could not be any other divers anywhere in the water, with no mention of whether there was any real chance they could provide assistance at depth, where it's most critical.

It's a true example of a distinction without a difference.

You were diving solo. I dive solo. The examples I gave previously were all solo dives.

All were true solo dives undiminished by the fact that other divers were in the same ocean. :D

Dave C

I always dive self-sufficient, usually with a buddy. A buddy is, to me, someone who is always close enough and skilled enough to intervene on my behalf in an emergency, on rare occasions I only have students, or I'm diving with my 11 year old son and so I don't have a buddy in the sense I define it. On those occasions I'm much more careful.

Likewise, I dive with the same self-sufficient mindset and gear whether or not I have a buddy.

Actually, compared to solo diving, when I'm buddy diving I tend to be more careful, perhaps even vigilant.

Thankfully, I've got a few buddies who really stand out as totally predictable and reliable. They are a real pleasure to dive with. With them I can relax almost as much as when solo. :)

Much of it comes down to being able to trust them, which gets back to the character issue of the OP's question.

The guy who states he wouldn't share air under any circumstances can't be trusted.

Not to get into buddy-bashing, but there are plenty of character issues that can make someone a poor buddy.

Then again, I may be just a little fussy.... :D

Dave C

I would rather dive with someone who says he won't share his air but has skills to save his own ass than with someone who will share but dives like an idiot.

<< There's certainly a distinction between solo and self-sufficient, but what's the point of using the term "true" solo dive as it was previously described? >>

Well, it may have been a poorly chosen word. I used it because some posters seemed to be making a distinction between "diving in a group" without a buddy arrangement, and solo diving.

The only real point is: unless you have a "buddy agreement" with someone, you are diving solo whether other divers are around or not.

I would rather dive with someone who says he won't share his air but has skills to save his own ass than with someone who will share but dives like an idiot.

That's a great point.

I agree on the "mindset", but are you saying you bring a fully redundant gas source, a 2nd mask, etc., on every buddy dive?

Well, my solo configuration is just the addition of the fully redundant gas source (al30 mounted to the main tank) and, yes, that goes on all my dives whether I have a buddy or not, mostly because I want to keep things the same.

I rarely buddy dive, but I'd just as soon have the redundant air rather than downgrade my self-sufficiency even though it might be considered overkill.

Otherwise my gear is typical of most open water divers, except for a few options....okay maybe more than a few.... :D

Dave C

Well, my solo configuration is just the addition of the fully redundant gas source (al30 mounted to the main tank) and, yes, that goes on all my dives whether I have a buddy or not, mostly because I want to keep things the same.

Fair enough. I'm a minimalist. One of my motivations for buddy diving is to carry less gear. I let my buddy carry my redundant gas source.

Fair enough. I'm a minimalist. One of my motivations for buddy diving is to carry less gear. I let my buddy carry my redundant gas source.

Sounds like an excellent way to go, especially when your exposure protection is so minimal that you've already got things pretty simplified.

I should try being a minimalist, but I'm sure there will be occasions when I'd regret not having my pony bottle or camera or magnifying glass or flounder spear or catch bag or protective fragile/sharp item box or my lift bag or my extra cutting tool....

Hmm.... maybe I can load up a buddy with some of those items.... :)

I'm happy to recall my solo diving in Bonaire let me cut back to pony, camera, magnifying glass and 3mm shorty! That certainly was nice!

Dave C

I should try being a minimalist, but I'm sure there will be occasions when I'd regret not having my pony bottle or camera or magnifying glass or flounder spear or catch bag or protective fragile/sharp item box or my lift bag or my extra cutting tool....

Hmm.... maybe I can load up a buddy with some of those items.... :)

:D Turns out buddies are of some use after all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom