Some new dives since last time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice dives, would it be possible to do the return trip at Jesse Island underwater or does it get to deep? You should try the socializing thing Mark, just keep in mind that the world is full fools and your dealing with the Grand High Poobah.

hey swankenstein im coming to victoria in the begining of august and was wondering if u were down for some shore dives?

Skookumchuck:
Nice dives, would it be possible to do the return trip at Jesse Island underwater or does it get to deep? You should try the socializing thing Mark, just keep in mind that the world is full fools and your dealing with the Grand High Poobah.
You could do it underwater, but it's over 60 feet deep so it would cut down on your air time at the actual dive. I did swim a bit of it underwater, but it's mostly just silty sand once you get away from the island. On the Vancouver Island side, the bottom is a slope of sand/gravel almost right away. As for the "socializing" thing, that was mostly a joke......mostly. Seriously though, I much prefer shore diving to boat diving. There's more room to get your stuff together on shore, no one stepping on your stuff, the beach doesn't move under you, you can go at your own pace where you want, etc..

Looks like you had some spectacular water clarity and ambient light. I really enjoyed Jesse Island when we did it this winter, especially the topography, so that we did our deco along the wall, and there were tons of things to look at.

I wonder why the ochre stars pile up like that? I haven't seen any other starfish do it, and we saw ochre star piles everywhere when we were up in Canada.

TSandM:
Looks like you had some spectacular water clarity and ambient light. I really enjoyed Jesse Island when we did it this winter, especially the topography, so that we did our deco along the wall, and there were tons of things to look at.

I wonder why the ochre stars pile up like that? I haven't seen any other starfish do it, and we saw ochre star piles everywhere when we were up in Canada.
I found that the best part of Jesse was the shallows around the caverns. Visibility was only around 15 feet, but when you're 15 feet deep, that's all you need. I find that ochre stars are very common in lower-salinity areas (like the Strait of Gerorgia). I remember at Whytecliff Park near Vancouver they used to cover the walls in the shallows. They're very rare around Victoria (Strait of Juan de Fuca side), though. You might see one occasionally, but nowhere near the numbers you get further North. When you went to Jesse Island did you do the deeper tip of the island or the end I did by the dock? I'm curious what the deeper areas are like on the other end of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom