some tip for my first south trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

attchoum

Registered
Reaction score
hello

I just buy my plane ticket to utila honduras.

It will be my first dive trip to the south. I woul like to know some tip and trick you use.
What to bring or not to bring

also, what do you do whit important travel document (passeport, airplane ticket,...)while you are underwater?

Any tip will be welcome

thx for your help

etienne

We leave our documents in our lodging.

We travel with all of our own equipment, although it's not necessary if you are diving at a resort, as they generally will have rental equipment. If we are doing boat diving, we take some emergency signalling equipment, like a DSMB and spool, a Dive Alert, and a mirror. I like to take a long sleeved nylon shirt and nylon convertible pants, because you can throw them on over a bathing suit and they'll dry quickly. Sarongs are also great cover-ups. To my surprise, having a good windbreaking jacket can be really nice on boats, because the wind over your wet body or wetsuit can be quite chilling between dives.

Make sure you take your certification cards!

thx for your help

the trouble is that im in a backpacker travel mode, im not sure leaving my passeport in my room will be safe.

also, i dont know if it's better to find a new bcd or to bring my backplate wing set-up. it's really a big set for travel.
what do you think is best?

thx again for your help

you should contact any of the dive operations you plan to dive with and ask about rental gear and whether you need to book ahead of time or can just walk in. Most dive boats are small and you won't be able to bring all your personal bags onto the boat, so you need to think about where to store everything. Backpacking and scuba diving don't really mix well, in my opinion.

Stupid suggestion I'm sure but I learned this first hand... Keep your certification card with you and not packed away in your luggage or with your log book. Luggage gets lost... book gets lost... card gets lost... time to snorkel! :) At least that's what happened to me.

jim

If I were you I would leave the passport in the hotel room safe. Bring your C card with you on carry on. My instructor and his wife (also an instructor) went down south a few years ago, and he left his C cards and logbook in check, and they lost his luggage. The dive op only let him dive because his wife's Open Water Instructor Card, had his name listed as certifying instructor and course director.

I've also heard for Honduras to make sure you have Insect Repellent with DEET.

Only if you want to kill the fish. Cactus juice is natural, made from the prickly pear, and much safer for your body and the environment.

Start packing early and have a digital bathroom scale at home.

Weigh yourself, then step on with the bag the subtract. Shoot for a pound or 2 below the limit to allow for dampness and souvenirs on the way home. Make a list of each cases contents to you can reconstitute it for the trip home and the next trip. Do all of this 1-2 weeks ahead of time. Then you can unpack the neoprene and other items you don't want to leave packed for final packing right before departure.

This exercise may help you decide on you BCD choice.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom