Southwest Airlines gets Approval for Houston Hobby International Terminal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So that you know, ex-united flight attendants do not fly on ex-continental planes and vice versa. Most of the flights out of IAH to the Caribbean are on ex-Continental planes with ex-continental flight attendants.

I try to take it all with a grain of salt and give as much grace as I can. I close my eyes and if I make it there and back I am happy. When I was young I was anxious and angry, now I'm practicing not being a grumpy old man. All of these workers are just like me, living with what they have.

I try to take it all with a grain of salt and give as much grace as I can. I close my eyes and if I make it there and back I am happy. When I was young I was anxious and angry, now I'm practicing not being a grumpy old man. All of these workers are just like me, living with what they have.

Totally agree here. I'm not particularly loyal to any one airline and have flown on Continental, Delta, US Airways, American and United over the years and to me all the crews are pretty much the same. Every now and then I've run into someone with a bad attitude but that seems to be the exception and that happens in any industry.

What amazes me is that they aren't all sociopathic killers. I mean seriously, have you taken a good look at the flying public? A bunch of loud, obnoxious, rude, pushy people who don't follow rules as if they're special for some unknown reason. Of course, the airlines treating us like cattle doesn't help but there is a large segment of the public that shouldn't be allowed out in public. Here are just a few of the reasons I dislike flying and these same people are probably the ones who put flight attendants in a sour mood.

The passengers who takes someone else's seat on purpose because they didn't like their seat assignment and didn't or couldn't get it changed before the flight. Now the flight attendant and everyone else has to endure musical chairs during boarding and delaying our departure.

The passengers who board with a multitude of carryons and then proceed to bang them into everyone on the plane as they make their way down the aisle and then take more than their fair share of overhead space.

The passengers who suddenly slam their seat back to the fully reclined position while jamming my knees into the back of the seat in the process. Come on, the space in coach is tight enough people, let's not make it worse!

The parent who doesn't keep their darling child from kicking the back of my seat the entire flight. Really? You want me to sit behind you and kick your seat for a couple of hours?

The people who are inconsiderate and trash the restroom without picking up after themselves. Slosh water all over the counter. Throw paper towels everywhere but in the trash. Piss all over the seat. (Hey, turbulence happens but have a little respect for the next passenger!) Take just a moment to clean up after yourself and then the restroom won't be trashed halfway into the flight.

The passenger who still hasn't turned off their electronic device after two announcements requesting they do just that. The flight attendant then has to come along and tell you a third time. (And, no, I don't want to get into an argument about whether or not these things really interfere with the plane's electronics!)

The passengers who jump out of their seat upon reaching the gate and start elbowing their way up the aisle from the back of the plane. They usually make it about one or two rows before the crush of people stops them dead in their tracks. Seriously? Why even try?

The passengers who put on too much perfume or cologne of dubious quality and sit down with a noxious cloud that radiates three or four rows in both directions. Gee, thanks for that.

If I were a flight attendant I'd either be on a constant valium diet or otherwise soon be fired and arrested for criminal battery upon some inconsiderate clod of a passenger.

If it were up to me, I'd rather fly with a whole plane load of flight attendants (if they'd have me) rather than the general public.

What is the etiquette on reclining a coach seat? Half way acceptable? I never know.... I worry about how far I can recline. I also want to know when I can be justified in being annoyed at the guy in front of me leaning back.

Totally agree here. I'm not particularly loyal to any one airline and have flown on Continental, Delta, US Airways, American and United over the years and to me all the crews are pretty much the same. Every now and then I've run into someone with a bad attitude but that seems to be the exception and that happens in any industry.

What amazes me is that they aren't all sociopathic killers. I mean seriously, have you taken a good look at the flying public? A bunch of loud, obnoxious, rude, pushy people who don't follow rules as if they're special for some unknown reason. Of course, the airlines treating us like cattle doesn't help but there is a large segment of the public that shouldn't be allowed out in public. Here are just a few of the reasons I dislike flying and these same people are probably the ones who put flight attendants in a sour mood.
[...]
I have flown with all those people, too, and then some.

How about the Sumo wrestler who insists he can fit into the coach seat next to me but wants me to lift the armrest between us (ain't gonna happen) so he can squash me even farther into the space that's left? I once had a flight attendant see that happening to me and move me into first class (the only open seats left on the plane) so I could escape the guy. I am still grateful to her.

How about the guy with the Swine Flu sitting behind me who won't let a little thing like a virulently contagious disease stop him from infecting the rest of the plane with his constant coughing? Never mind that I have spent several thousand dollars on a dive vacation that a respiratory infection will render a waste of money and vacation days.

No, I am not concerned about surly airline employees; I do my best to get along with them and make their day and mine as conflict free as possible.

My mood would sour quickly if I had to deal with a bunch of folks who demand a wonderful experience, then do everything possible to make everyone else miserable (slam their seat back, push the limits on their electronics, take a seat not assigned to them etc.) How do the flight attendants put up with this on a daily basis and keep a smile on their face?

What about the guy that brings his guitar case into the cabin, takes up enough room in the overhead for 3 passengers carry on's forcing gate checking of my bags and a trip to baggage claim when I specifically packed for an overnight stay and only needed a small carry on bag.

The passengers who takes someone else's seat on purpose because they didn't like their seat assignment and didn't or couldn't get it changed before the flight.

+1

I had this happen on my last trip. What amazed me was how indignant this woman was when I politely pointed out she was in my seat.. as if I was the one at fault.

I always request (reserve) an isle seat so I don't have to bother someone if I want to stand for a minute to stretch or use the restroom. So I let this woman stay in the seat I reserved and then she gave me the evil eye when I excused myself to get by her fat ass (and it was huge) to go to the rest room. She wouldn't stand up, like most people do when some on the inside seat needs to get out, she just tilted her leg a bit so I had to climb over her too. And then I got the "ahem" like I was the biggest bother in her life.

It won't happen again !!!

What is the etiquette on reclining a coach seat? Half way acceptable? I never know.... I worry about how far I can recline. I also want to know when I can be justified in being annoyed at the guy in front of me leaning back.
That's a great question with no clear answer.

On short hops where sleep isn't necessary, no recline is best. On short red-eyes, where everyone hopes to get in a few hours, reclining should be OK. On longer flights, where it's almost impossible to stay awake the entire time (for instance, LAX to Bangkok, an 18-hour flight that leaves LAX at 10:30 p.m.), reclining has to be OK, but when?

Coming back from a cruddy 30th birthday in Hawaii many years ago, cruddy because I got sick the day we left home and had a fever and painful ear infection the entire trip, we were crammed into United coach seats on the red-eye return flight to LAX. I barely had any leg room with the seat in front of me in the upright position. The row of 3 was a family of mother, father, and daughter of around 5 or so. I sat behind daughter. As soon as the plane took off, father reclined daughter's seat all the way into my knees, crushing them. As family seemed to be dozing off, I gently pushed daughter's seat up until my knees were no longer being crushed. Somehow father awoke, and he re-reclined his daughter's seat. I waited a bit, then re-unreclined it. At that point, enraged father turned around and started screaming at me, threatening to put his fist into my head or something along those lines. I screamed back that I didn't appreciate my legs being crushed and his ____ daughter didn't need the _____ leg room. Apparently he didn't appreciate my referring to his daughter as a _______ daughter, and started to climb over the seat to effectuate his threat. Fortunately surly United FA came by to my rescue, made father sit back down, and defused the situation by moving J and I to a bulkhead row where I was able to stretch out my legs in complete comfort.

On the other hand, on an 8-hour red eye coming back from Tahiti, I was the one who wanted to sleep. Unfortunately, they served a meal on this plane at 2 a.m. The passengers behind me kept trying to tell me to put my seat up, but I kept pretending I was sleeping. Finally the flight attendant came over and shook me until I couldn't pretend any more without her believing me dead. She asked me to raise my seat so the passengers behind me could eat in comfort at 2 a.m. I obey flight attendants, so I did. On the other hand, I also monitored the food consumption of the ______ French passengers behind me and as soon as the guy took his last bite, I waved the flight attendant over and asked her to take his tray so I could sleep. She did, I reclined, he muttered something in French, and I pretended to sleep the rest of the flight, at least until they decided to serve another meal at 5 a.m. and I opted to unrecline for the remainder of the flight since it wasn't worth it anymore and it's not like I was sleeping anyway. (That was the first and only time I've seen cockroaches on a plane, which made the meals a bit less appetizing.)

Don't give United any ideas. Next thing you know they will want to charge extra for a seat that reclines.

That's a great question with no clear answer.

On short hops where sleep isn't necessary, no recline is best. On short red-eyes, where everyone hopes to get in a few hours, reclining should be OK. On longer flights, where it's almost impossible to stay awake the entire time (for instance, LAX to Bangkok, an 18-hour flight that leaves LAX at 10:30 p.m.), reclining has to be OK, but when?

Good gravy, so a 3.5 hour BWI to CUN = No recline? I mean I never go all the way, just a little then stop. :) Does that count?

And if they go all the way on the people behind them, then its ok for me to go all the way on them right?

I am just really happy if no one fires a bowl in the back of the plane and makes us return to the gate. Yes, my standards have been lowered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom