SP Hydros Pro vs Halcyon Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^that

if I were you, I would contact DSS, give Tobin a call, he's quite a nice guy, and likely walk out with a short SS backplate with a Torus 26 wing. Save you quite a bit of money of either of the rigs originally mentioned and just as good quality as either of them

ALL people I know who bought the SP Hydros BC are raving about it. It is supposed to fit all sizes no problem.

Just a matter of curiosity because the Hydros is so different than a BP/W even though back inflate- for those that have used BOTH types of systems, which do they prefer?

Just a matter of curiosity because the Hydros is so different than a BP/W even though back inflate- for those that have used BOTH types of systems, which do they prefer?
nice avatar

Perhaps they can't afford to own both???

:)

used both, hydros pro was with a crotch strap which I think is necessary on any bcd for surface comfort. It was fine, no objections other than the price which is terrifying. At $850 it's just not worth $350 more than a BP/W....

I guess I didn't really consider that even though I am in shape that women in general have a higher body fat percentage than men, makes sense. So my assumption would be that a small stainless steal backplate is a couple pounds lighter than a regular sized one? If going with the Eclipse (but I will still look into DSS) should I go with 20 or 30lb wing?

Regular H SS plate is 5lb-1oz,
Small H SS plate is 4lb-2oz
Regular H AL plate is 1lb-10oz

To each of their own, I prefer AL plate for travel and warm water. Will it be happy with SS plate, sure. Since I have AL plate for double, I think it works out better, not because of lighter luggage weight, but the weight distribution. I am leg heavy by a big margin, so I want to place 4lb on upper cam strap. Having AL plate give me that option.

As for 20lb vs 30lb wing. If you buy halcyon, their 30lb wing is still very streamline. I will just buy 30ob over their 20lb, so I can use it for cold water too.

used both, hydros pro was with a crotch strap which I think is necessary on any bcd for surface comfort. It was fine, no objections other than the price which is terrifying. At $850 it's just not worth $350 more than a BP/W....

Perhaps a cheap BP/W without any of the features and accessories the Hydros has. I don't think that you are a neutral judge anyways. The Halcyon system isn't that much less expensive.

Perhaps a cheap BP/W without any of the features and accessories the Hydros has. I don't think that you are a neutral judge anyways. The Halcyon system isn't that much less expensive.

I don't think anyone in this industry is truly neutral because we all have our preferences. That said the Halcyon doesn't represent a good value either, which is why I never recommend any of their stuff.

Stock the only thing it has for features and accessories is the weight system which I'm not a fan of on any bc really. To compare apples to mostly apples, it's still $200+ more than a Dive Rite Transplate rig with their quick buckle weight system. That gets you the weight pouches and a similar style harness, neither of which I think are particularly necessary

I recommend Halcyon products highly. I have a Halcyon Pioneer wing (predecessor to the Eclipse) that I purchased in 2000, and I still use it. I've owned several other Halcyon products as well, and they have all been excellent, long lasting and top quality. I also think the Halcyon Eclipse wing and backplate would be superior to the Scubapro Hydros Pro BC.

I'd also recommend adding Halcyon ACB weight pockets and trim weight pockets to this setup.

Last edited:
This has been a very informative thread for myself. I've also been considering these two bcds as well as the DSS based on its reputation around here.

One thing I do consider a plus on the Hydros Pro and Infinity is the weight integration. I really do not enjoy using a weight belt. I know the option is there to add weight on to the backplate of the DSS but I also do like having ditchable weight on my system.

I haven't dived either the Hydros Pro or Halcyon but I've seen them both in person and both seem absolutely top notch in quality. However, the Hydros pro does have a lot of bells and whistles that are seemingly only there to market the BCD as a premium product while having little application. What I'm saying here is that it almost seems to be looking for solutions/problems that may not actually exist.

I wish I could see a DSS system in person but I do trust in the product based of what I've read.

As of now I am leaning towards the blue H but the price is still a concern. Either that or just adding some weight pockets on to the cam bands of the DSS system.

Back
Top Bottom