Spare air/pony bottle---should I get one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SETX scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have about 50 dives since being certified 2 years ago and the addiction has hit me hard. I travel solo on most of my trips and dive with reputable companys. They always pair me with a DM or a dive buddy but I am always concerned my dive buddy might not be reliable in case of a malfunction...Is the Spare Air/ or pony bottle a good option for me??

A pony can be a useful tool depending on your needs. I've never found the spare air to be value for money as usually they are too small for real emergency use and they cost a lot more than a basic 19cuft setup.

At least where I am.

I am in your exact same situation, and there are a ton of post here on the topic if you search for pony bottle. I just started carrying mine a few dives ago.

Here are a few recent ones

H2Odyssey Redunant Air System (RAS) - anyone using?

Pony or buddy when low/no air?

Practice using a pony bottle

In general, if I were to summarize all the posts, what I concluded was that
1) A pony only helps for low/out of air situations, but posters listed many many other instances where a buddy would be needed. But for my dives (warm Caribbean low current high visibility guided group boat dives) air during a 100' wall dive is my primary (but not only) concern.
2) you need to calculate your air requirements based on how deep and how "difficult" or physically taxing your dives. (You will need to know your SAC rate, then compute air used for 1 minute at depth to get sorted out, then air to take you up to safety stop at 30-60' per min, then air at safety plus surfacing, then double the total to account for breathing under stress. For me a 13 cf pony had air to spare, but for about the same size and weight it's worth going to 19 cf). A spare air could be useless for me in my case. If I were not sure about my SAC I would go with (maybe rent?) a 19cf and then run a simulation from depth with enough air in your main tank to see how far the pony takes you and then double consumption for stress.
3) all of my dives are essentially non-buddy group dives, so the pony does provide some safety net for bad or non-existent buddies - and that's why I dive with mine. Don't include the air as part of your gas plan, though.
4) slinging it along my left side is the best for me, rather than mounted to my main tank and that seemed to be the moderate consensus
5) regardless of the tank size you will hardly notice it once in the water. Some of the tech divers might suggest a 40 or even an 80 but that is probably overkill for normal group recreational diving. Yes you can die if you needed that extra 10-20 cf, but you can die with doubles as well. It's diving.
6) practice using it! It seems very simple to change regs (and it really is - I keep my pony reg attached to a D ring under my left shoulder where it is very easy to reach) but it still helps to get comfortable doing it. I practice using if during my safety stops. (But alert the DM that you will be doing this!)
7) you will need to recalibrate your weighting and maybe trim. I found no effect on trim, but my first dive with the pony was a rocket ship to the bottom, and I like to do negative entries to keep my total weight down. So I'm going lighter when using the pony (I don't use it on shallow dives that I can CESA if needed).
8) Oh, and there was no consensus as far as I can tell on whether to leave the pony tank valve closed (but pressurized) or open. I leave mine open as that is one less thing I will need to deal with, but I have my seconds stage tuned down to prevent free flows, so need to turn that lever up - although last time I did not just to try it, and it breathed OK.

Last edited:
A spare air could be useless for me in my case.

I had a spare air and I viewed it differently for the dives the OP was talking. I liked it because i was more concerned that my insta-buddy might be chasing a fish with a gopro rather than paying attention and the spare air wasn't about getting to the surface, but getting an extra few seconds to get your buddy's attention or to someone else in the group in the event of an issue. If viewed this way, then yes I think it can be valuable. The portability makes is easy for vacation travel and I found it more likely to be used rather than not because there wasnt really much more thought involved with clipping it on. With that said its not really a solution for self sufficiency. Its just an additional buffer to get to help. For this reason I've recently invested in a pony bottle myself (I essentially was able to sell my spare air for what I paid for a AL 30 setup used locally)

My dive group all decided to purchase redundant air in the following config; 19CF tank, single 2nd stage, 40" hose, button gauge, mounted valve down via dive rite drysuit inflation mount. We agreed in the past to dive identical configuration on trips. I was against the idea at first but after several trips with the configuration I am glad to have purchased the kit.

Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. I looked at several previous posts on the subject but I probably should have given more detail. Most of not all of dives will be warm water high vis dives so my main concern is similar to one of the replies...having my buddy wander off on me.

Thanks for the quick and thorough replies. I looked at several previous posts on the subject but I probably should have given more detail. Most of not all of dives will be warm water high vis dives so my main concern is similar to one of the replies...having my buddy wander off on me.
Are you travelling by air to dive? If so it will be less PITA to rent a small tank at destination. Most operations should have a 40 available and carrying a stage strap and reg is a lot easier than taking the valve etc out of a spare air every time you fly.

If that is what you are looking for, I am probably going to go against the general opinion that many people on the board has and say that a spare air is a good choice. The size means you can easily travel with it and like i said previously you are more likely to bring it with you on every dive vs a pony which takes a bit more setup and might not feel worth it every dive. However I wouldnt call a spare air a replacement for a pony in low vis or deeper dives were you may want to make a safety stop. But it doesnt sound like this is where you are looking to use this.

Are you travelling by air to dive? If so it will be less PITA to rent a small tank at destination. Most operations should have a 40 available and carrying a stage strap and reg is a lot easier than taking the valve etc out of a spare air every time you fly.

This is probably more of a grey area, but when I traveled I just unscrewed the reg and taped a pair of sandwich baggies (slip 2 baggies over the top and use masking tape to wrap around about half way down the cylinder where the baggie went down to, i used 2 to try to minimize the chance of a tear exposing the opening) over the opening to ensure that nothing contaminated the cylinder and kept the rest in a separate baggie. Its not wrenched on like a pony valve. Never had it disturbed when i traveled. Probably technically should have had a new vis done on it, but I felt comfortable checking the threads and o ring myself before reattaching it.

Fair enough. The condensation from pressure and temp changes in an aircraft luggage hold would be a concern for me but I'm funny that way...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom