Spare air/pony bottle---should I get one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 50 dives since being certified 2 years ago and the addiction has hit me hard. I travel solo on most of my trips and dive with reputable companys. They always pair me with a DM or a dive buddy but I am always concerned my dive buddy might not be reliable in case of a malfunction...Is the Spare Air/ or pony bottle a good option for me??

It is the easiest solution. The best solution would be to become a good diver and find good buddy's for dive trips.

For a solo diver it would be a good solution. But if you are not a solo diver and have good buddy's than there is no reason to use a spare air/pony bottle.

Fair enough. The condensation from pressure and temp changes in an aircraft luggage hold would be a concern for me but I'm funny that way...
Check it out. Aircraft holds have the same air the cabin does.

If that is what you are looking for, I am probably going to go against the general opinion that many people on the board has and say that a spare air is a good choice. The size means you can easily travel with it and like i said previously you are more likely to bring it with you on every dive vs a pony which takes a bit more setup and might not feel worth it every dive. However I wouldnt call a spare air a replacement for a pony in low vis or deeper dives were you may want to make a safety stop. But it doesnt sound like this is where you are looking to use this.
Have you ever experimented with it at home at depth and learned how far you can go?

Not all of the holds. I do this for a living :)

Ever notice how cold any metal or glass in your bags is when it comes out, or had a bottle spring a leak?

Outside air temp is -50 C or so. Heating is only applied to the holds inside the pressure vessels. Your bags don't get down to that temp as there is a lot of insulation etc but there are big variations.

Fair enough. The condensation from pressure and temp changes in an aircraft luggage hold would be a concern for me but I'm funny that way...

I'm more concerned about the suntan lotion bursting or sand from laundry that just got stuffed in on my way home

I have a 13' cf I have traveled with. It takes up 6 lbs in the suitcase, but as I'm going to warm climes, the rest of the suitcase is filled with just a couple of pair of shorts, couple of bathing suits and a few t shirts :)

Not all of the holds. I do this for a living :)

Ever notice how cold any metal or glass in your bags is when it comes out, or had a bottle spring a leak?

Outside air temp is -50 C or so. Heating is only applied to the holds inside the pressure vessels. Your bags don't get down to that temp as there is a lot of insulation etc but there are big variations.
Are Cargo Holds Pressurized? - Airliners.net

Have you ever experimented with it at home at depth and learned how far you can go?
It has about 10 breaths at 100'. If you need it don't stay at 100'.

Interesting. The aircraft I flew didn't have pressurised holds, not pax aircraft though. Learn something new every day.

It does seem from the article that they still aren't heated though which is the main source of condensation. There is also a pressure difference between cabin alt and sea level...

Last edited:
It has about 10 breaths at 100'. If you need it don't stay at 100'.
That will vary dramatically according to the individual, especially when you consider that they are a bit stressed, so they may consume more air faster. Hence my recommendation to test in ideal conditions and understand that when the fan gets hit, they have less time.

I did an experiment where I timed how long it would take me to take 10 breaths at a rate that I likely would when ascending in such a manner. It took me 40 seconds. Now of course as one gets shallower, the amount of air molecules one breathes in decreases as they get closer to the surface. Let's say you have 20 breaths. For me, that is 80 seconds. 100' in 80 seconds. That's dangerously fast I would say. Risky for DCS. Personally, it was a pony bottle for me in the past (yes, I did haul one around, a PIA, but I'd rather have that than be dead). Today it is sidemount.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom