Spare air/pony bottle---should I get one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many say there is no difference with modern regulators but I definitely felt it changing.

There is, however it gives much less warning and air than the old unbalanced regs back when I started diving. I could make a normal ascent after going OOA (LOA), which was how you knew when to surface without an SPG or j-valve. After a while I could time it to avoid sucking on a reg harder than normal for the ascent.

Bob

Ownership of a camera is not an excuse for negligent buddy diving skills. You are either diving as a buddy pair or you are not.

I am not sure there is much use in trying to formulate rules for "bad buddy diving".

If you are not buddy diving, then you are solo diving. Different situation with well understood best practices.
That's not in theory, but there is reality thus I address it as such. I believe there is usefulness in addressing "bad buddy diving". I'm sure many people taking pictures underwater are completely unaware that they are essentially solo diving.

... I'm sure many people taking pictures underwater are completely unaware that they are essentially solo diving.
No more than any other diver that is not paying any attention...I see lots of vacation divers without cameras that are unable to maintain a buddy team. sigh...

Camera or no camera, you need to decide before you hit the water: Am I buddy diving or am I solo diving?

Choose your poison, follow your training / experience and you will be fine. I do not care which you choose, but pick one of them (or some other well known model). In your example I would claim those photographers should acknowledge they are solo diving and get the proper training and gear.

Despite all of the novelty dive courses out there I have not yet heard of the "bad buddy diver" course...Hang on, what's PADI's phone number?

Despite all of the novelty dive courses out there I have not yet heard of the "bad buddy diver" course...Hang on, what's PADI's phone number?

I believe PADI already has that course. They call it "Self Reliant Diver"

I have insta-buddies with a photographer and found it quite enjoyable. But we talked about his photographic objectives, and essentially dove with both of us working on those objectives.

I believe PADI already has that course. They call it "Self Reliant Diver"

I have insta-buddies with a photographer and found it quite enjoyable. But we talked about his photographic objectives, and essentially dove with both of us working on those objectives.
My (obtuse?) point is that you are either a dive buddy pair or you are a solo diver. There is no middle ground. Kind of like Pregnant or NOT Pregnant?

Lots of divers seem to think that a quasi solo diver or same ocean buddy is a valid concept...Well I had a buddy on the boat, so I don't need to know how to dive solo...

Fess up - if you really are diving solo then admit it. No shame, just be properly prepared.

On the instabuddy issue:

When I am not diving with my family, the majority of my dives are solo drift in Boynton Beach, FL. I always carry my own flag. I will occasionally take another diver or small group, especially if they are unfamiliar with the area, relatively inexperienced, or lack confidence. I give very explicit instructions before the dive that it is their responsibility to stay with me and to let me know if they will be ascending on the flag before the end of my dive. I swim quite slowly and steadily and it is very easy to stay with me. I don't mind if they want to take photos, I do myself sometimes, or try to hunt for lobster, but the rule of staying with me is unchanged. I'll still look around for them occasionally and am certainly willing to assist with problems, but the major responsibility is theirs. In almost 8 years, I have never lost a diver using this strategy. I will even ascend with another diver or group if I'm concerned about their ability. I can always continue my dive once they're safely on the surface for pick up.

About a year ago I took a young husband and wife on their 1st drift dives, only their 2nd dive trip after certification. The man did OK, the woman had a lot of problems. She was underweighted and couldn't descend, I got her some more weight. At the bottom, she immediately lost a weight pocket and started up, I retrieved the pocket, caught up with her, and replaced it. After all this, we had drifted a fair distance off the reef and had moderate swim back. A little later, her cylinder came out of her BC and I replaced it. The rest of the dive was uneventful. I decided to accompany them to the surface, then finished my dive. The second dive went much smoother and we ascended together as it was only about 10 or so minutes before I would have gone up myself. They thanked me several times for the help and we went our separate ways. The next day they went out with a different boat. They happened to pass me underwater with another pair on the second dive, vigorously waved at me and gave me a big OK. The husband was carrying the flag! We passed on the dock at the end of the day and they thanked me again, with big smiles on their faces. Sometimes, it's really worth it.

No more than any other diver that is not paying any attention...I see lots of vacation divers without cameras that are unable to maintain a buddy team. sigh...

Camera or no camera, you need to decide before you hit the water: Am I buddy diving or am I solo diving?

Choose your poison, follow your training / experience and you will be fine. I do not care which you choose, but pick one of them (or some other well known model). In your example I would claim those photographers should acknowledge they are solo diving and get the proper training and gear.

No disagreement there. However, back to the insta-buddy situation. Your insta-buddy says that he or she will be your buddy, but then doesn't follow through underwater.

I'd argue that if you are going to have an insta-buddy, you should be prepared to dive solo as you may find yourself on your own

...I'd argue that if you are going to have an insta-buddy, you should be prepared to dive solo as you may find yourself on your own
How did you find yourself on your own? Were you not paying attention? You mean you lost your buddy? You suck!

I fully understand that some insta buddy's may be lacking. Loosing them is your fault. Buddy diving is a team effort. You need to be aware of your buddy at all times. This means you may have to spend a little extra effort at the start of a dive.

But: You should only have to chase an insta buddy once. After that they should be fully aware of their transgression. A few seconds of sign language after you lampreyed on their leg or fins for a few minutes and they will get the message.

Think of an insta buddy as a insta wedding with no divorce allowed until you resurface...

How did you find yourself on your own? Were you not paying attention? You mean you lost your buddy? You suck!.

Way to keep it classy.

I haven't ever had this problem. I'm always prepared to dive solo. When group diving for example, I realize I am diving solo and that works for me.

I've read accounts of insta-buddies just taking off, and their assigned buddies just couldn't keep up. Often they try to join other pairs.

Rather than hurling insults, you should ask clarifying questions. But you can keep being you if you wish.

But: You should only have to chase an insta buddy once. After that they should be fully aware of their transgression. A few seconds of sign language after you lampreyed on their leg or fins for a few minutes and they will get the message.

Think of an insta buddy as a insta wedding with no divorce allowed until you resurface...

Okay, and if the assigned buddy doesn't care? Topside he/she just says you couldn't keep up? What do you do then? I'd personally recommend joining two other divers. But you may not have options.

That is why I preach/teach self-reliance. I talk about it in my open water classes to be aware. I encourage my students to buddy up with people they know or are referred to them, as insta buddies are a gamble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom