Spearfishing Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm guessing that, were you diving in Cozumel, you would be diving inside the marine park. So we wouldn't be allowed with any such devices, unless you were taking us outside the park into the Villa Blanca area and north which doesn't fit your general description of your work experience. And I think it's highly unlikely that ANY Coz op would take divers out to those sites, armed, without having dived with them before and reasonably confident about their abilities to a) not get stung; b) not shoot anyone else and most importantly c) maintain proper buoyancy.
Based on his low post count, his location in Nicaragua, and obvious lack of knowledge of the regulars that have been discussing Lionfish in the Cozumel section, I'm thinking he probably isn't even watching the responses to his "Babysitting" comment.

Based on his low post count, his location in Nicaragua, and obvious lack of knowledge of the regulars that have been discussing Lionfish in the Cozumel section, I'm thinking he probably isn't even watching the responses to his "Babysitting" comment.

Probably not. Judging from the tone of his post, I'm thinking he's not someone I'd enjoy diving with, anyway.

Unless I have a dive SWORD, I'm not going in that close to a lionfish.

Interesting... So park rules say no knives and no spears..... I bet they don't mention swords! En Guardia, Pez Leon!!!
:swordfight:

I tagged a lot of lionfish last week. Some with my new Lion Tamer, and others with borrowed Hawaiian slings. The Lion Tamer works great for small to medium lionfish, but would be a little dangerous for the bigger ones because they can slide down the single pronged shaft and sting you. I plan to modify my Lion Tamer with a three pronged barb to prevent this.

P.S. Lionfish Tacos are the bomb! :D

Attachments

• CZM Lionfish1.JPG
    CZM Lionfish1.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 57
  • CZM Lionfish2.jpg
    CZM Lionfish2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 50
Florida Keys 2011 lionfish tournament series just announced by REEF and the Fla Keys National Marine Sanctuary! We're killing them anyway, might as well try for some cash and prizes while we're at it. $10,000 up for grabs during the whole series.

May 14 - Fiesta Key Resort, Long Key, Fla.
August 20 - Coconuts Restaurant, Key Largo, Fla.
November 5 - Hurricane Hole Marina and Restaurant, Key West, Fla.

Register online at Lionfish Derbies | Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF)$150 for teams of up to four divers, gets you puncture resistance gloves or a catch bag, and banquet tix.

Discounts on accommodations and boat rentals too.
Fiesta Key Resort- (305) 554-0172. Special Derby Rates: $30 for tent site, $65 for R.V. site, $85 for standard room, $100 for room w/kitchen
Lime Tree Bay Resort- (305) 664-4740. Offering 25% off regular rates for derby participants.
Pier 68 Watersports- (305) 664-2233 (right next to Lime Tree Bay Resort). Offering 20% off of all boat rentals for derby participants.
Key Dives- (305) 664-2211 (in Islamorada). Offering $10 off for all derby participants.

Check it out: Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary, Partner, to host Second Annual Lionfish Derby Series

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom