Spearfishing Lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldmaninthesea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know what laws Mexico has restricting spearfishing. I've just come back from 2 weeks diving in Playa Del Carmen and saw lionfish on virtually every dive.
I'd like to try a pole spear on the little buggers.

For some reason in Playa the D.M.'s are not concerned about the lion fish. I have gone there several times and in the last two times I could be going over a sandy bottom and see lion fish just sitting there. I could go up to it with in a centimeter of it and spear it with out it even blinking it's eye (well if it could blink) before it realizes what was going to happen. Check with the dive shop first to get there permission. I recommend you use either a liontamer (ck sp) or a small hawain sling. fish nets work well also if you can take either of the other two items mentioned.

I bought a liontamer and received it a few weeks ago. It's a very simple design, but sould be effective. I'm going to try to smack some in May and will let you know how it works.

The tamer works very well. I love my JBL sling though better, my three barbs are hooked. I band my prongs tighter for less spread of tips. They dont ever wiggle off. I do give the tamer one thing that is better, reload time.

My only recommendation is if you can give the lion tammer a barb it is much better. Because the shaft is completley smooth the fish can come off very easily. If you take it to a welder and just ask them to make a small cut and lift it to create the bard the efficiency is even better.

I bought a liontamer and received it a few weeks ago. It's a very simple design, but sould be effective. I'm going to try to smack some in May and will let you know how it works.

Are they legal in Cayman? I thought any kind of spearing was prohibited over there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom